fish for kids?

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
Okay i need your guys help before my head explodes trying to understand it...

This whole time i've had the tank filled and running, i had a piece of cardboard painted black, taped to the back of the aquarium (as previously posted). From the front it always looked dingy and cloudy. I didn't understand why no matter what I did, it never got better. I even took pictures every day to judge the difference so i could show myself that even if there was a little progress, that it was better than nothing. But nothing ever changed. I also been messing with my light trying to figure out where i liked it best. My tank is a 55 with a center brace, and a two piece glass lid that i'm sure you are familiar with (covers the whole top, two pieces, but each side tilts open independantly so there is another center brace as part of the lid). I'd go a few days with it towards the back, a few days with it towards the front, never quite figured out where i liked it. it always made shadows in different spots and i still never saw the background clear up.

Today, I decided to swap out the cardboard for a bright blue posterboard so i could better monitor the progress. Figured it would be pretty obvious when it's clearing up because i'd be able to see the bright blue better and better. It was getting really disapointing and discouraging. I've busted my ass with this thing being meticulous, buying an awesome filter, all the extras for inside, cleaning the tank regularly, scrubbing the glass you name it....But then it hit me....

It's the light.

If i take the light and move it to JUST in front of the tank, and keep it level with the top of the tank, it's like being in a dark room and all of a sudden switching on an industrial flood light. Holy crap the water is as clear as air, you can read a damn book through the tank, and the background is as if you are holding it right in front of you. THIS showed me everything i've done was worth it. this is what i was trying to achieve and i did it but it's always been hidden.

So now what are my options? Changing lights? Am i doing something wrong? i'm using the mounts that came with the light (Fluval 247 planted plus). I'm guessing if the tank is that bad looking from the naked eye, that the plants must not be getting enough light either but i'm not a scientist or very smart. Keep in mind this is all being tested with the light on "max." not using one of the 247 modes. Is this just something that will be typical of all lights? Would i be better suited with an in tank background? Am i being too much of a nit picking idiot? lol

edit: also, i read about one of the big marketing things behind backgrounds are that it will hide all the cords hoses etc from the tank...well i don't have that problem cuz i can't see anything lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Angelphish

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Ok this is a bit hard for me to understand so I'm going to try to summarize it hopefully.
The placement of the light was wrong and you moved it so now it's much clearer. The thing you're wondering is if since you moved it it will affect plant growth.
Did I get that right?

Reactions: jyabs7

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
Ok this is a bit hard for me to understand so I'm going to try to summarize it hopefully.
The placement of the light was wrong and you moved it so now it's much clearer. The thing you're wondering is if since you moved it it will affect plant growth.
Did I get that right?

i'm a bad explainer lol I have a finnex planted plus, using the original mounts for the light to go ON TOP of the tank (like it should be). If i put it anywhere on top of the tank, it shades the tank to the point that it looks dirty. i can't even see from the front of the tank, out the back glass. If i put a bright piece of paper on the back glass and look from the front, i can't see it.

If i take the light off the top of the tank, and leave it pointed down still, but move it so i'm holding it just in front of the tank, it's like a literally night an day difference. I'll try to get some pictures but it's literally like the first way makes the water look like it's algae bloomed and gross to where you can't see through it. But the second way makes it so bright you can see straight through the tank and the water looks clear as air.

Simplest i can explain is if i put a background on my tank right now and left the light mounted on top, i'd never see it. it would be too dark even with the light on max. I thought this whole time that my water was clouded and bacteria filled.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
That's mighty odd, could you get a picture of this with the light in both positions?
Also, I'm thinking about maybe making a custom canopy that hangs over the front of the tank a bit so you could attach the light in place.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I personally see nothing wrong with it but that doesn't matter. Is it possible for you to hang it from the ceiling?

Reactions: jyabs7 and Zanzag

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
I personally see nothing wrong with it but that doesn't matter. Is it possible for you to hang it from the ceiling?

well, i've been told before that i'm over critical so...lol I have a few other non aquarium lights i'll mess around with to see if i find something i like better and browse for something aquarium comparable.

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
Tried raising it and didnt get too much of a difference. But your right, def the angle of the light. Maybe two lights, or a second light of a different brand. I did put a 50w terrarium light by itself, and an arcadia shade dweller up there and it was giving me more of the feel I am going for. Did some reading on fluvals planted light, might I'll grab that and see if it compliments my finnex at all or does better as a standalone

Reactions: Angelphish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store