My 2 new baby polypterus senegalus

XxJokerXx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2019
South Florida
My albino, his name is Nemo because his pectoral fins are pretty much destroyed. So he has lucky fins. I decided to save him from getting munched on some more.

And my regular one scuba (I don’t know why I gave him that name) he’s suuuper tiny and cute. But I saved him from pet smart. The tanks were in such poor condition none of the senegalus were moving and one of them was sitting at a stand still alive at the top of the tank. I told the associate “yeah don’t give me that one haha.” But I was definitely thinking “ how bad does your water have to be for a senegalus to be near death.”?

Anyway now both my little guys are happy in my 55 gallon.

EF72E244-8B5B-4877-8AEE-F2A8D0AFFFED.jpeg

FE3F3059-3A79-4151-9C88-9CB43D5CC54A.jpeg

0E74E073-68AF-433C-B3AD-54D79EA99264.jpeg

4546E35E-9A9A-477D-8B0E-CBEE4845F7D0.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My albino, his name is Nemo because his pectoral fins are pretty much destroyed. So he has lucky fins. I decided to save him from getting munched on some more.

And my regular one scuba (I don’t know why I gave him that name) he’s suuuper tiny and cute. But I saved him from pet smart. The tanks were in such poor condition none of the senegalus were moving and one of them was sitting at a stand still alive at the top of the tank. I told the associate “yeah don’t give me that one haha.” But I was definitely thinking “ how bad does your water have to be for a senegalus to be near death.”?

Anyway now both my little guys are happy in my 55 gallon.

View attachment 1395794

View attachment 1395795

View attachment 1395796

View attachment 1395797
Welcome aboard
Nice of you to save the Senegalus. My favorite Polypterus specie. Just make sure they have a 1-2 inch gap to gulp in air at the surface. Get them on pellet's and Tilapia cut in small peices.

XxJokerXx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2019
South Florida
Right now I’m feeding them API cichlids pellets. Crude protein (min) 34%, crude fat (min) 6%, crude fiber (max) 5%, and moisture (max) 10%. I threw 12 ghost shrimp in there for them but they don’t seem interested in them I don’t know if it’s because they are young and don’t know how to hunt yet or if they just don’t like them. But I will definitely buy some tilapia for them. I like to have a large variety of fish food for my fish.

I been out the hobby for over a year. My last poly grew to be 6 inches I had her in there with a 9 inch blind Florida gar. Like he literally had no eyes. And my poly got bit by him one time and she got free and ever since then she knew to stay away from him. But my gar was so cool. Since he had no eyes I would tap the water surface lightly when it was feeding time and he would come straight to my finger and when he did I would throw food around him. He was very sensitive to vibrations. All my fish knew to stay away from him my German blue ram, my poly, my 2 gouramis, my brittle nose pleco. Oh and this one comet gold fish that watches all his friends get eaten, managed to stay alive and not get eaten by the gar or the poly that grow to be 10 inches in less than year. All that in a 40breeder with 3 filters on it. In my care my water quality was more than perfect but when I moved, in someone else care more than 1 year later today the only thing alive is that goldfish and the pleco. Now I’m starting over again.

XxJokerXx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2019
South Florida
Gravel and polys don't mix well. There is a thread going on right now with a possible ingestion issue. Just saying. Not trying to rain on the party or anything. They look good though!
I appreciate your concern and information I have read that gravel and polys don’t mix well. But in all honest I have never had a problem with my polys in the past being in a gravel environment. I have seen them grab the gravel by accident but they have never swallowed the gravel. From what I seen and even with my new polys I’ve seen them spit the gravel right out. But thank you so much for showing concern.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
They're darned cute, making me miss mine now :(

Reactions: XxJokerXx
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com