Cupid cichlids

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Tried to find more info on the web about these guys but cant get many accurate info.

Water temp?
Are they hardy?
Do they have to be kept in group of 4-6 or are 2-3 ok?

Thanks

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Biotadoma are beautiful little cichlids that do best in groups. 4 to 6 would be a good number. I e kept them at temps around 78 but 75 to 80 would be fine.
If your water is on the hard side I would add tannins and leaf litter as they do prefer soft acid water.
They are peaceful and easy going cichlids and should not cause any aggro in your tank.
They become more beautiful with age and in tannin stained water they glow orange with bright cheek and fin markings.
Overall a stunning cichlid and well worth keeping.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Biotadoma are beautiful little cichlids that do best in groups. 4 to 6 would be a good number. I e kept them at temps around 78 but 75 to 80 would be fine.
If your water is on the hard side I would add tannins and leaf litter as they do prefer soft acid water.
They are peaceful and easy going cichlids and should not cause any aggro in your tank.
They become more beautiful with age and in tannin stained water they glow orange with bright cheek and fin markings.
Thanks... my tanks at 76-77 so should work. Water after aging is 7.4ish.

You said they prefer to be in groups of 4-6 but would they be ok with 2-3?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I think it will depend on sex ratio. 2 males may fight over 1 female. If you could add a couple more it could be better. However they are not that aggressive so may be worth a shot.

Reactions: SandNukka15

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with this, I would add, they usually come from waters with a pH between 5 and 6.5, and very low conductivity, so the tannins would be a requirement for me, and maybe rain water or R.O. added with water changes to cut back on dissolved minerals commonly found in your slightly above neutral tap water.
I would also agree, the more cupido's the better.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Agree with this, I would add, they usually come from waters with a pH between 5 and 6.5, and very low conductivity, so the tannins would be a requirement for me, and maybe rain water or R.O. added with water changes to cut back on dissolved minerals commonly found in your slightly above neutral tap water.
I would also agree, the more cupido's the better.
That's pretty low for me to have to keep up with since they will be going into my 75 that's stocked with other fish and I'd be doing 65% water change per week. Wouldnt want to throw off the ph messing with it every week with that large of a water change.

I basically have a water container I fill up to age water 24 hrs with a heater and then pump it straight into the main tank for water changes.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In the Maroni river in Guiana where keyholes are naturally found the pH average is around 5.5.
I'm sure, since keyholes have been in the aquarium trade forever, this low pH has become unimportant from generations bred in more mineral waters.. But I would guess, it wouldn't be harmful.
I first had them in the late 1950s, kept in hard Milwaukee water, and they did fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if I had not been ignorant of health benefits of tannins or their soft water preference (and could have done something like added rain water, they would have done better).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store