Datnioid Polota or Indonesian Datnoids?

Aanand

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2020
Hello Everyone,
I just bought three 2" datnioids which my LFS says are Indonesian Datnioids. However, after doing some research on Google, I think they may be Polotas / American Silver Datnioids. I called him and told him but he insists they are Indonesian. Please help in clarifying..
Thanks...

datnioid.jpg

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
I have a baby silver and he looks exactly like those but idk

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Those are polotas,not indos.

Reactions: Aanand

BigMouthBangers

Feeder Fish
Nov 4, 2019
Definitely datnoid polota, or AT/American/Silver Tiger. More active than the indo imo but there personalities vary for sure. Gorgeous lil guys too, seen some available at a local LFS here in FL but couldn't pull the trigger due to my current one being the aggressor in the group of 5 assorted types of Dats. Awesome pick up for sure.

Aanand

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2020
Definitely datnoid polota, or AT/American/Silver Tiger. More active than the indo imo but there personalities vary for sure. Gorgeous lil guys too, seen some available at a local LFS here in FL but couldn't pull the trigger due to my current one being the aggressor in the group of 5 assorted types of Dats. Awesome pick up for sure.
Thanks. I agree. I saw a few adult Polotas, around 4.5" at the LFS. Imo, Polotas are better when they are young coz I did not like the colours on the adults and the opposite for the Indos. But maybe the LFS did not keep them well.

BigMouthBangers

Feeder Fish
Nov 4, 2019
Thanks. I agree. I saw a few adult Polotas, around 4.5" at the LFS. Imo, Polotas are better when they are young coz I did not like the colours on the adults and the opposite for the Indos. But maybe the LFS did not keep them well.
Hmmm really? I kinda have the opposite in my aquarium lol the only sizable Indo i have is very temperamental, the smaller indos stay stable but they change there striping/color the quickest imo. One minute they'll be dark, ill give 'em some tilapia and there back to gold and black. The silvers stay stable with black and silver 100% of the time in my case, and when being territorial get a black face. My silvers are between 6-7" though. Once they become established in the tank they become a problem lol, love the thick look on them, and the body on them almost resembles perch more than anything.

Reactions: Aanand
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store