Shark Aquarium

Reefshark

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2020
I’m thinking about making a 3,000 gallon shark aquarium with a banded houndshark and a white tip reef shark. The tank will be an intex pool pond. The problem is filtration, I have no idea how to filter this. Another problem is heating, I can’t find large heaters. Any suggestions?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Welcome to MFK.
For filtration you could do a diy filter using plastic barrels, bio media and pond filter sponges.
Or you could check into ultima filters.
They look like the large canister sand filters made for pools.
The heat can be provided by a water heater rigged with a coil of hose and pump (like a heat exchanger)
The problem as I see it is the pool itself,
I wouldn’t trust the longevity of a latex pool with sharks.
Especially the white tip.
To me the pool would be at risk of being punctured by the fish, especially during feeding.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
The hot water heater if gas heated is the best bet. Its setup can be found on a Google search but you will need a thermostatic pump and a ton of pex. Basically you will attach the pump to your hot water supply and run the pex to the sump for that size system you will want at least 100' coil in the sump. When I did this on my large salt system I used a 100g Rubbermaid stock tank just for the coil of pex. Then run the end of the pex to the drain on your hot water heater so it will cycle back into the heater. The good side effect of setting this up will mean hot water at all taps as soon as you turn it on. If your hot water heater is electric don't bother just get an industrial electric heating element. You will need to adjust your heat setting as you will get some temp creep from the hot water sitting in the pex coil.

As for filtration I'd agree an ultima or 2 would be good. Along with a large sump/refugium and a massive skimmer.
I'd run three 100g Rubbermaids hooked together I'd do filter socks in the first one with live rock second one would be a refugium and third would hold the heating impliment and skimmer/ultima ports then return from ultimas to tank.

As for the pool itself it will fail/get damaged eventually. Good news is you can patch it. Bad news is you have to drain it to the failure level to do so. If its on the bottom you'll most likely need a new pool.

More bad news this tank isn't big enough for an adult whitetip. They will constantly need to be moving this type of shark isn't very easy to keep. The hound shark while quite large is a better option. Cat sharks would be best bamboo, coral cat, any benthic type of shark for a pool this small. Less possibility of damage to the liner too.

Good luck in what ever you decide.

Reefshark

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2020
The hot water heater if gas heated is the best bet. Its setup can be found on a Google search but you will need a thermostatic pump and a ton of pex. Basically you will attach the pump to your hot water supply and run the pex to the sump for that size system you will want at least 100' coil in the sump. When I did this on my large salt system I used a 100g Rubbermaid stock tank just for the coil of pex. Then run the end of the pex to the drain on your hot water heater so it will cycle back into the heater. The good side effect of setting this up will mean hot water at all taps as soon as you turn it on. If your hot water heater is electric don't bother just get an industrial electric heating element. You will need to adjust your heat setting as you will get some temp creep from the hot water sitting in the pex coil.

As for filtration I'd agree an ultima or 2 would be good. Along with a large sump/refugium and a massive skimmer.
I'd run three 100g Rubbermaids hooked together I'd do filter socks in the first one with live rock second one would be a refugium and third would hold the heating impliment and skimmer/ultima ports then return from ultimas to tank.

As for the pool itself it will fail/get damaged eventually. Good news is you can patch it. Bad news is you have to drain it to the failure level to do so. If its on the bottom you'll most likely need a new pool.

More bad news this tank isn't big enough for an adult whitetip. They will constantly need to be moving this type of shark isn't very easy to keep. The hound shark while quite large is a better option. Cat sharks would be best bamboo, coral cat, any benthic type of shark for a pool this small. Less possibility of damage to the liner too.

Good luck in what ever you decide.
Thanks but you’re wrong white tips are not ram ventilated.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
R Reefshark
I would say it’s doable.
If you could address the pool possibility getting shredded when these fish try to clamp down on a chunk fish and get the bottom or side of the pool.

What about a fiberglass pool?

I know the cost may be prohibitive.
It probably would be for me anyway

Was this going in your home or basement?

Reefshark

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2020
R Reefshark
I would say it’s doable.
If you could address the pool possibility getting shredded when these fish try to clamp down on a chunk fish and get the bottom or side of the pool.

What about a fiberglass pool?

I know the cost may be prohibitive.
It probably would be for me anyway

Was this going in your home or basement?
Basement

Reefshark

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2020
Welcome to MFK.
For filtration you could do a diy filter using plastic barrels, bio media and pond filter sponges.
Or you could check into ultima filters.
They look like the large canister sand filters made for pools.
The heat can be provided by a water heater rigged with a coil of hose and pump (like a heat exchanger)
The problem as I see it is the pool itself,
I wouldn’t trust the longevity of a latex pool with sharks.
Especially the white tip.
To me the pool would be at risk of being punctured by the fish, especially during feeding.
Agreed, found a 2,400 stock tank that is made from more durable materials.

Reactions: BIG-G

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Agreed, found a 2,400 stock tank that is made from more durable materials.
That’s cool. I assume it’s round, what’s the diameter?
If you decide to set this up, you should do a build thread !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store