Marble Motoro Tankmates

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
I'm setting a tank up which will house two marble motoros

I'm wondering about whether I can add any of these , not all of them just seeing which I should discount.

Fire eel
clown knife
spotted gar
Atabapo Pikes
Kelberi Peacock Bass
flagtail prochilodus

You can probably see where I am going with this, what else could you suggest

Cheers guys

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I'm setting a tank up which will house two marble motoros

I'm wondering about whether I can add any of these , not all of them just seeing which I should discount.

Fire eel
clown knife
spotted gar
Atabapo Pikes
Kelberi Peacock Bass
flagtail prochilodus

You can probably see where I am going with this, what else could you suggest

Cheers guys
I personally would avoid the bass and pike mainly do to them being more aggressive, I would also avoid the eel as he may end up a snack for the rays lol. I do see plenty of ppl keeping gar, knives, and flagtails in their Ray tanks so I would assume they would be fine. I would avoid any bottom dwelling fish as they may disturb the rays allong with most cichlids for the aggression. I do see many ppl keeping arowana with their rays so they should be a good match. Maybe a school of mascara Barb's or Congo tetras would be neat but they would get eaten by any aro or gar in the tank. Hopefully someone with more experience in keeping rays will chime in with their 2 cents.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane seems to have summed it up. But the issue with the bass is less about the ray getting attacked and more about having to power feed or target feed to get food down to the rays. Once bass get a bit of size on them they become insatiable eating machines that you need to take a side job just to afford the extra food?.

motoros are great but once they get to about 16-20” they eat all your smaller fish. Lol and by smaller I mean whatever they can pin down and it doesn’t necessarily need to originally fit in the rays mouth.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
And you also have to tread lightly with the flagtail once they get to 1” they tend to develop a taste for slime coat and can really mess up your rays if left alone for too long.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
And you also have to tread lightly with the flagtail once they get to 1” they tend to develop a taste for slime coat and can really mess up your rays if left alone for too long.
I guess it would all depend on how deep his substrate is. I would imagine the flagtails not being too interested in a fish that stays buried almost 24-7. And with the bass that makes total sense, from what I hear they can be real pigs like Oscars and goldfish.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I guess it would all depend on how deep his substrate is. I would imagine the flagtails not being too interested in a fish that stays buried almost 24-7. And with the bass that makes total sense, from what I hear they can be real pigs like Oscars and goldfish.
That’s assuming op has substrate. My rays hardly ever bury themselves. Only if they are stressed or are over fed lol.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
That’s assuming op has substrate. My rays hardly ever bury themselves. Only if they are stressed or are over fed lol.
True true. I noticed most ppl don't get enough substrate for a ray if any substrate at all. Granted more often then not the ray is the only bottom dweller in the tank in most tanks.

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
The tank isn't set up yet should be delivered next week.

Ordering some substrate tonight, I wasn't going to have a particularly deep bed

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
You can still have bass I've done it with multiple Ray's and bass. The trick is to use pvc piping to feed so the stingrays get first dibs. I would avoid the eel depending on the size and some flagtails are known to suck slime coat off fish so it could happen with the ray depending on the flagtail. The rest of the tankmates seem fine to me

Reactions: Matteus

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
I’ve currently got a tank with 10 growing and greedy Azul and 3 rays. Generally they get enough food the bass seem more interested in the food hitting the water then the stuff sinking. If there being greedy though I often night feed the rays they always forage around for food in the darkness.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store