Stubborn flowerhorn

Kittyflower

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2019
So I got a flowerhorn close to a month ago. He/she will only eat 2 pellets a day. They refuse to eat when I put food in the tank and then eventually eat it like an hour later. I have tried fasting it for a day to make it more interested in food. I have tried 3 different types of pellet food. I have tried blood worms, shrimp, and tubiflex worms. It always tastes them and then spits them out. It's to the point where if I put in 2 pellets a day that little white worms appear in the tank which I have researched and found they are harmless but appear when the tank has left over food in it. I'm at a loss for how to get the flowerhorn to eat and put on size.

20200210_201103.jpg

JSpilo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
Maryland
Don't feed for a few days. It'll eat.
Maybe try dimming the lights?
What's your water quality like? PH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. Water temp?

Termitehunter

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Your temp seems to be a bit low. Try a gradual bump over the next day or two up around 82 to 84. This will speed up his metabolism and therefore his appetite. From my experience, flowerhorns can really thrive up to 86.

Good looking fish by the way

Reactions: Fishenvy

JSpilo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
Maryland
Your temp seems to be a bit low. Try a gradual bump over the next day or two up around 82 to 84. This will speed up his metabolism and therefore his appetite. From my experience, flowerhorns can really thrive up to 86.

Good looking fish by the way
Yes, I agree... up the water temp.
I personally wouldn't go higher than 82°F. I keep mine at 80°F. Certain types of bad bacteria can thrive at higher temps, so I play it safe.
Don't feed for a couple days and try dimming the lights if possible or feed with the lights off.

Reactions: Ruturaj

Kittyflower

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2019
No hes the only fish in the tank. He has 75 gallons to wander around in. I wanted to keep him by himself so it would increase the desire for human interaction. Also on top of him not wanting to eat he developed a prolapse. I dont know of it's related but saw it was common with flowerhorns. I added in Epsom salt and I'll be slowly raising the temp for him.

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
No hes the only fish in the tank. He has 75 gallons to wander around in. I wanted to keep him by himself so it would increase the desire for human interaction. Also on top of him not wanting to eat he developed a prolapse. I dont know of it's related but saw it was common with flowerhorns. I added in Epsom salt and I'll be slowly raising the temp for him.
That's a large tank for 1 fish. I would recommend adding a few parrots or other small cichlids like a vieja to just literally give him something to chase.

He will work up a healthy appetite and be ready for his snackums.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I think it's either stress, disease or a parasite. Temperature is a little on lower side but not as much to cause the eating issue. And I don't think tank size is a reason as well. You will have to observe your fish to find out more symptoms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store