flowerhorn with white scabs

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
srd flowerhorn developed what looks like white scabs in the front of his body,,cant tell if its from fighting or what,,it isnt fungus and not ich...just looks like scabs,,he acts normal,eats swims around,isnt lethargic,,,is he peeling? he is still kinda young hes about 4 inches.was using some anti fungal cause at first i thought it might be a fungal outbreak,but closer inspection it just looks like white crust

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
hard to do,he doesnt ever hold still and is still really scared of me if i approach the tank.some of this picture isnt accurate since the glass has smudges all over it.its barebottom 40 gallon breeder somewhat a hospital tank for now until i can figure out what those white scabs are.whatever it is it doesnt seem to bother him,he doesnt scratch on decor or act strange in anyway,and hes had it for like a week now.part of me thinks its some sorta fungus

20200214_232359.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
hard to do,he doesnt ever hold still and is still really scared of me if i approach the tank.some of this picture isnt accurate since the glass has smudges all over it.its barebottom 40 gallon breeder somewhat a hospital tank for now until i can figure out what those white scabs are.whatever it is it doesnt seem to bother him,he doesnt scratch on decor or act strange in anyway,and hes had it for like a week now.part of me thinks its some sorta fungus

View attachment 1405505
Looks like it's possibly ich. Could also just be a scrape he gave himself. Doubt it's fading as most faders will peel before 4in. Would you mind taking some water tests and post the tank parameters along with temp? Looks like he's stressed about something, he's atleast got his stress lines showing from what I can see in the pic.

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
will do for sure,stress lines prolly cause i just got done netting him out the 125 to put into the 40 lol he doesnt like me too much,oh and i introduced him to a female flowerhorn so hes all amped up about that as well im guessing,will post the water parameters here in a few

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
ive had ich outbreak before on fish and it doesnt look like this,wish i could get a better shot at the spots.it looks like a spot thats healing after injury.how it gets somewhat white from slimecoat before returning to normal,but not sure what he got injured from,he was in another tank with other fish but didnt see anything picking on him

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
Looks like it's possibly ich. Could also just be a scrape he gave himself. Doubt it's fading as most faders will peel before 4in. Would you mind taking some water tests and post the tank parameters along with temp? Looks like he's stressed about something, he's atleast got his stress lines showing from what I can see in the pic.
ph 7.6 ammonia 0 nitrite 1.0 nitrate 0(im kinda confused why nitrates read 0,i did do a large water change before so maybe thats it) temp 80 degrees f.like i said fish behaves normal doesnt act sick at all or lethargic as if he had ich or velvet,cant find any pictures on the net that looks like it..scabs would be the best description i can give as in they only appear white cause of the bright light in the tank.otherwise would prolly be same color as the scales and different sizes to the dots and only on the sides of the face none on the body or fins

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
ph 7.6 ammonia 0 nitrite 1.0 nitrate 0(im kinda confused why nitrates read 0,i did do a large water change before so maybe thats it) temp 80 degrees f.like i said fish behaves normal doesnt act sick at all or lethargic as if he had ich or velvet,cant find any pictures on the net that looks like it..scabs would be the best description i can give as in they only appear white cause of the bright light in the tank.otherwise would prolly be same color as the scales and different sizes to the dots and only on the sides of the face none on the body or fins
Well from the sounds of it he probably just got hurt somehow, either by getting into a fight or by smacking into some decor. But since you said the fish seems flighty I would imagine it probably got scared and ran into some decor and scraped itself up a bit. Personally I'd whatch it for a week and see if it gets better over time while also treating with some API general cure to help prevent/cure any infection. As long as he keeps eating regularly and acting normal he should heal up over time, might leave a lil scar but shouldn't be anything to worry about. When I had my FH (Jr.) He scraped up his kok a few times and eventually gave himself a scar, but it seems to be very similar to what yours had happen. Hope this helps ya out and best of luck to ya.

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
Well from the sounds of it he probably just got hurt somehow, either by getting into a fight or by smacking into some decor. But since you said the fish seems flighty I would imagine it probably got scared and ran into some decor and scraped itself up a bit. Personally I'd whatch it for a week and see if it gets better over time while also treating with some API general cure to help prevent/cure any infection. As long as he keeps eating regularly and acting normal he should heal up over time, might leave a lil scar but shouldn't be anything to worry about. When I had my FH (Jr.) He scraped up his kok a few times and eventually gave himself a scar, but it seems to be very similar to what yours had happen. Hope this helps ya out and best of luck to ya.
yea hes really skittish,,hes getting a bit better around me but still hides really quick if i show up.eats pretty good.is is quite active

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store