Bass eating too much?

Samt123

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2020
I have a 2.5 inch pbass and he seems to love the food I give him. He won’t stop eating when I give him the food and his stomach gets really big after a few pieces. Should I be concerned about his stomach or just keep feeding him until he no longer wants to eat?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 2.5 inch pbass and he seems to love the food I give him. He won’t stop eating when I give him the food and his stomach gets really big after a few pieces. Should I be concerned about his stomach or just keep feeding him until he no longer wants to eat?

Feed small amounts the pellets swell. Yes I would be concerned about bloat.

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Most fish will eat and eat and eat, and when they look full they'll still beg for more. You're not doing your little bass any favours by over feeding it, it can lead to health problems in time. Just dial it in a bit.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
What’s he eating?

Reactions: tlindsey

Samt123

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2020
Great! How is the cutting up the Trout and freezing it? Tilapia is another source of food if you run out of Trout.
the frozen trout method has hands down been the best method of feeding him so far. I am able to slowly sneak a few pellets into his trout as he eats it and this post was due to the fact that he would devour every piece of trout and not let any other bits fall down for the catfish to eat. I have only fed him trout 2 times and both of them he has gorged himself but now i know better to limit his eating and hand-feed the catfish. thank you guys!

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Lol as it gets bigger, it will only get worse ??‍♂

bass are notorious for gorging on as much that will fit, then a little bit more.

you can try feeding the cat straight pellets while in training and that could help get them on pellets faster. Another option is to use a piece of pvc pipe to target feed the cat

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The pvc pipe method was something I used to do to make sure a pleco I used to have got enough food, but even that failed in time. Having slow catfish thrive in a tank full of fast, very greedy fish is a real challenge ime. That pleco eventually died, I had no where else to put him at the time to fatten him up. I was gutted, it was a real learning curve for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store