How easy is to change out the pump on an FX5/FX6??

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
My oldest FX5 filter suddenly quit after maintenance early this week. Was working fine and when plugged in after cleaning it made a slight rumble and then died. No impeller noice so I assume its the pump. The filter is 11 years old and has been runniing continuously. I replaced it with a brand new FX6. The old filter is otherwise in decent shape.....I found replacement pump assembly for about 180 bucks........is the repair easy? worth the cash? i figure its really the only moving parts. I am thinking about fixing it down the line.....anyone have experience with this? TY

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Have you ever removed the pump from the housing before? If not, a long shaft phillips head screwdriver is needed to reach the screws and is easy to remove the pump after emptying all the stuff out of the filter.

I've never installed a new pump but it shouldn't be different then removing and cleaning the old pump as long as you get the gasket in correctly. The owners manual has the instructions on removing and installing the pump if you still have it.

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
  • Love
Reactions: deeda and Chefken

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Nice link, Raka Raka !

Reactions: Raka

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Chefken Chefken , before spending any money, open it up and check if any debris is caught in impeller, motor or housing if you haven't already done so.
I used to find a bunch of sand caught in mine when I opened it for cleaning. I used to briefly plug in the pump after cleaning to see if the impeller rotated.

Castlk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2013
Long Island, New York
Have you ever changed the impeller? After 11 years and never having the motor out of it to clean it out I would do that first. I keep a fine filter pad in the bottom tray as the last place water passes through so that nothing can get past there and possibly jam up the impeller. A FX5/FX6 impeller is 60 bucks, one third the price of the motor assembly. I would also replace the o-ring while I have it apart.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store