720L (190g) SA Community Tank Stocking suggestions

Hidoi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2020
I'm going to be purchasing a 190g tank this year and I'm in the planning phase regarding stocking it.
It will be a semi-planted tank with rocks/driftwood and plants among the hardscape and a large open area of sand.
I have been looking around and this is the stocklist I have come up with currently:

20-30 x Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae (Red Eye Tetra) or Hasemania nana (Silvertip Tetra)
6 x Chilodus punctatus (Spotted Headstander)
6 x Megalechis thoracata (Spotted Hoplo Cats)
4 x Geophagus Surinamensis (1:3)
3 x Ancistrus Sp. Super Red

1 x Andinoacara pulcher "Electric Blue"
1 x Hypselecara temporalis (Chocolate Cichlid)
1 x Amatitlania sajica (T-Bar Cichlid)
1 x Hypsophrys nicaraguensis (Macaw Cichlid)
1 x Acarichthys heckelii (Threadfin Acara)
1 x Guianacara owroewefi
1 x Leporinus fasciatus (Banded Leporinus)

Will these fish work together?
Wll the tetras be fine in there and not become food?
Is the stocklist fine as is, is it overstocked or is there room for more?
Are there any changes I should make?

I have also concidered the following cichlids:
Cleithracara maronii
Mesonauta festivus
Herotilapia multispinosa
Astatheros robertsoni
Heros efasciatus
Heros severus

Thanks in advance.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You my want to consider the type water you have, either hard and mineral rich, or soft (mineral poor) before combining.
The Central American cichlids you mention, sajica, nicaraguense, Robertson, and multipsinnossa are all hard water species preferring a pH near 8 (or at least above 7).
The South American species especially those like temporalis, the 2 Hero's, and that species Geophagus, would prefer soft mineral poor water with pH below 7 (even as low as 5) and a low conductivity.
In hard water these tend to end up with HLLE and other bacterial diseases as adults, unless large frequent (daily ) water changes are performed .
Some of the others like the Acarichthys, Guianacara, and Andinoacara are more forgiving, and any pH around 7 will works.
I acquiesce the non-cichlids to other more knowledgable keepers. Although my experience using certain tetras as dithers, in hard water, those from east of the Andes do not often do that well.

And the stocking numbers (over 30 fish) will work when juvies, but as adults (especially the larger growing cichlids) will be quite crowded and to maintain water quality daily water changes may be needed.
I have a well planted 180 gallon with another 40 gallons in sump filtration, with about half your suggested stocking level, and to me, it already seems crowded, so I do daily moderate water changes
to maintain the health of the system.
I have also kept every cichlid you mention at one time or another, and would not consider combining those South with Central Americans in the same tank for aggression intensity of some of the the Centrals, compared to the mild mannered attitude of the South Americans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hidoi

Hidoi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2020
Thank you for the informative reply.
Hardness is >7°d GH (so slightly hard)
My PH out of the tap is Neutral and I was planning on keeping it at that, no buffering.

Last edited:

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Nice selection of fish, i would recommend narrowing the focus to either CA or SA fish and reduce overall numbers though.

What duanes has explained about water preference is spot on so that should be a factor in your choice.

I would not try species like the heckelli, who has long streamers and showy fins, with species like the sajica or leporinus, who are apt to chase and nip fins.

Hidoi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2020
I have revised the list based on duanes reply.
Going with mostly CA since my tap water is around neutral PH/medium hard seems like the way to go, rather than trying to soften the water.

I would really like to include a group of eartheaters , the problem is that the selection is incredibly limited in Sweden.
My options are Steindachneri, Gurupi, Surinamensis and Satanoperca lilith.
Which of these would, if any, would fit?

Here is the revised stock list:
4 x Eartheaters
20 x Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae (Red Eye Tetra)
6 x Megalechis thoracata (Spotted Hoplo Cats)
2 x Ancistrus Sp. Super Red
1 x Chilodus punctatus (Spotted Headstander) or x6 if there is room for it?
1 x Andinoacara pulcher "Electric Blue"
1 x Amatitlania sajica
1 x Hypsophrys nicaraguensis
1 x Leporinus fasciatus

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The new list looks much more doable to me.
Andinoacara pulcher is one the most adaptive South American cichlids to differing water parameters, and can even tolerate slightly brackish.
As far as Geophagines go, steindachneri (although South American,) is from west of the Andes where water is more alkaline so may be more adaptable than some of the more finicky Geo's. I kept them in water with similar hardness to yours, and a pH of 7.8.
I'm keeping Andinoacara coerleopunctatus at the moment in my tank, which ranges from pH 7.8 to 8.2 depending on the season, and a bonus is they don't bother plants.
The sajica I had in the past, were not great with plants, especially the large males.

DF88CAF5-4701-4520-B163-1642A59768B2_1_201_a.jpeg

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I would remove the leporinus fasciatus if you care about the fins on your other fish. These 12" fish can be territorial to other fish and a 190g isn't a lot of tank space.

Hidoi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2020
The new list looks much more doable to me.
Andinoacara pulcher is one the most adaptive South American cichlids to differing water parameters, and can even tolerate slightly brackish.
As far as Geophagines go, steindachneri (although South American,) is from west of the Andes where water is more alkaline so may be more adaptable than some of the more finicky Geo's. I kept them in water with similar hardness to yours, and a pH of 7.8.
I'm keeping Andinoacara coerleopunctatus at the moment in my tank, which ranges from pH 7.8 to 8.2 depending on the season, and a bonus is they don't bother plants.
The sajica I had in the past, were not great with plants, especially the large males.
Thank you again for the reply and advice. :)
Andinoacara coeruleopunctatus looks beautiful, unfortunately it is not available here.

[/QUOTE]
I would remove the leporinus fasciatus if you care about the fins on your other fish. These 12" fish can be territorial to other fish and a 190g isn't a lot of tank space.

Thank you for the reply.
Yes, I have read a lot of differing information about this, some say that they are running amok in their tanks nipping and killing everything while others state that they are peaceful and doesn't hurt any of the other inhabitants.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Thank you again for the reply and advice. :)
Andinoacara coeruleopunctatus looks beautiful, unfortunately it is not available here.

Thank you for the reply.
Yes, I have read a lot of differing information about this, some say that they are running amok in their tanks nipping and killing everything while others state that they are peaceful and doesn't hurt any of the other inhabitants.

[/QUOTE]

Theres enough documented cases on this site alone of leps being both nippy and lethally territorial to a wide range of tankmates. The trending explanation seems to be they go after fish with their same profile and shape (long torpedo shape), but any kind of ornate fins in the tank will be shredded.

But yeah then theres always folks who chime in and say leps are completely peaceful in their communities.

I wouldnt risk it myself but to each their own i suppose.

Hidoi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2020
Theres enough documented cases on this site alone of leps being both nippy and lethally territorial to a wide range of tankmates. The trending explanation seems to be they go after fish with their same profile and shape (long torpedo shape), but any kind of ornate fins in the tank will be shredded.

But yeah then theres always folks who chime in and say leps are completely peaceful in their communities.

I wouldnt risk it myself but to each their own i suppose.
Yeah, I will skip these. It's a pity, since they are gorgeous fish :(
But I'd rather have the tank be peaceful.

Reactions: Backfromthedead
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store