Reactions: Magnus_andersson

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
necrocanis necrocanis

In theory or from reading, I think true perruno is hardly distinguishable or in any way distinguishable from Leiarius marmoratus / longibarbis externally, apart from the ray count, which seems to tell them apart.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
necrocanis necrocanis

In theory or from reading, I think true perruno is hardly distinguishable or in any way distinguishable from Leiarius marmoratus / longibarbis externally, apart from the ray count, which seems to tell them apart.
I've actually talked at length with Dr. John Lundberg on this. He is certain that perruno is a separate species. However they are geographically isolated. If I remember correctly they belong to one body of water and that's all. At least as far as we know. If I manage to dig through our hundreds of emails perhaps I'll get his exact qoute for you.

I believe(but don't qoute me yet haha) that he even did a DNA analysis which confirmed it's genus and species placement. Also I believe it has a different body shape along with a different count of soft Ray's in dorsal and/or anal fin Ray's.

Again I would have to refresh my memory but I believe perruno has 10-11 rays dorsally while marmoratus has 12-14. I could totally be wrong because I'm pushing my memory back like 10 years

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Again I would have to refresh my memory but I believe perruno has 10-11 rays dorsally while marmoratus has 12-14. I could totally be wrong because I'm pushing my memory back like 10 years
Think you were a little high on the dorsal fin ray count in both cases but excellent memory in the differences.
I think the perruno are reported to come from West of lake maracaibo (rio negro) in Venezuela so maracaibo is used as a selling point by trade. IMO perruno also have less underslung mouth than many marmoratus, as well as the less dorsal ray count (8/9) and again IMO slimmer. Mine tended to be less of a pig when it came to eating too, very reminiscent of my bolt, never over indulging. Schultz gives good descriptions of two he caught in an an expedition in 1942.
Love that you have such correspondence. I guess you refer to the paper on nuclear and mitochondrial gene sequencing in 2011.

Thanks for your info. But still confused about it. I may be stupid haha but i can simply call it marmoratus then?
Unless a marmoratus looking fish has only 8 or 9 spines (rays) to its dorsal fin, nowadays best to call it marmoratus as they outnumber sightings by at a guess 100,000:1 or more.
sorry, didn't want to burst any bubbles originally albeit a good looking slim specemine.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store