Goonch ID

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Got this guy in August at 7" or so. Pushing close to 20". Not sure if yarelli or indo China. Anyone can clarify. Chicxulub Chicxulub

View attachment 1409674

View attachment 1409675

View attachment 1409676
Bagarius bagarius, the highland giant.

The first thing to look for is eye shape. He's got round eyes, so he's either B. bagarius, yarelli or suchus.

He's not completely squished looking, so he's not suchus.

He's got spots, a somewhat flattened head and body, and gigantic winglike pectoral fins, so he's not yarelli.

I also suspect that the kinked dorsal fin may be a HLG thing, but I'm not 100% convinced on that yet.

T1015x2

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2020
Bagarius bagarius, the highland giant.

The first thing to look for is eye shape. He's got round eyes, so he's either B. bagarius, yarelli or suchus.

He's not completely squished looking, so he's not suchus.

He's got spots, a somewhat flattened head and body, and gigantic winglike pectoral fins, so he's not yarelli.

I also suspect that the kinked dorsal fin may be a HLG thing, but I'm not 100% convinced on that yet.
Thanks for the lesson. It came from wes as yarelli. Either way I like it and nice to know what it is. I never noticed the kinked fin until you said that . It does seem to be like that. Appreciate it.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thanks for the lesson. It came from wes as yarelli. Either way I like it and nice to know what it is. I never noticed the kinked fin until you said that . It does seem to be like that. Appreciate it.
Not everyone accepts that there's a difference between yarelli and bagarius. As such, Wes' opinion is valid in this, especially when one considers his experience in this matter. I wouldn't dream of telling him he's wrong, only that he and I differ in opinion on this.

Dr. Heok Hee Ng is working to square all of that away, but for the time being we're treating the division as valid. Hopefully it's academic soon.

T1015x2

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2020
Not everyone accepts that there's a difference between yarelli and bagarius. As such, Wes' opinion is valid in this, especially when one considers his experience in this matter. I wouldn't dream of telling him he's wrong, only that he and I differ in opinion on this.

Dr. Heok Hee Ng is working to square all of that away, but for the time being we're treating the division as valid. Hopefully it's academic soon.
Thank you for the eloquent answer. Either way love this species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store