My juvenile longnose gar lives in a pond. How do I know if it is eating its feeder fish?

pondbetweenwalls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2020
I bought a juvenile longnose gar a couple of weeks ago. I bought it at a size of 8-9 inches long. Although it has probably grown a little bit since then, any growth isn't that discernible yet. It lives in an outdoor pond of roughly 1000-1200 gallons in volume along with a three medium sized pacus and 50+ small fish (mollies, if I recall correctly) that I placed there as feeders for the gar. It gets along with all the other inhabitants and it lives in a generally good environment with lots of space to grow. But that's also kinda my dilemma. Because of the size of its enclosure and the large number of feeders, it's hard to know if it's actually catching any feeders (unlike in an aquarium where fish are easier to keep track of).

So far, I haven't seen it catch any fish. It spends most of the day resting at the bottom of the pond among some rocks (normal gar behavior). It's generally more active at night where I see it swimming around, but that's pretty much it.

Has anyone had experience with keeping a gar in a pond? Did you keep a constant supply of feeders with it? If not, how did you go about feeding it?

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
I would think the gar could easily catch any fish that it would want to eat at night time when they are asleep.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. I'd love to see some pictures of this pond!

Reactions: tlindsey

pondbetweenwalls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2020
I would think the gar could easily catch any fish that it would want to eat at night time when they are asleep.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. I'd love to see some pictures of this pond!
Thanks for the reply! I think I'll be optimistic and assume the same. Sure I'll take some pictures of the pond during the day and post em on this thread. Cheers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store