ICH!!!!! help

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
i left for florida a week ago when i noticed some white spots on my tetra. i came back and another tetra had one. now another tetra has one and my juvenile oscar has 2 spots. i dont have a heater or a filter for a quarantine tank, what do i do?? ive heard ich remover stains, so i dont want to do that. is there a non-staining way? btw the tetras are as big as the oscar. (Buenos Aires tetra)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d try some seachem paragaurd. Keep gravel vacuuming and doing ur water changes.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There is no point to putting them in a quarentine tank, because if one is exposed, all fish in the tank are also exposed..
The entire tank must be treated.
I treat with 3 lbs of salt per 100 gallons, any less the ick will not die.
I use rock salt or water softener salt, @ $5 for 50 lbs.
You could also use Nox-ick or some other product, they are just a more expensive way, and no better than salt.
You will need to keep salinity up fort least 2-3 weeks, to allow all dormant ick cysts to run thru their life cycle.

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
There is no point to putting them in a quarentine tank, because if one is exposed, all fish in the tank are also exposed..
The entire tank must be treated.
I treat with 3 lbs of salt per 100 gallons, any less the ick will not die.
I use rock salt or water softener salt, @ $5 for 50 lbs.
You could also use Nox-ick or some other product, they are just a more expensive way, and no better than salt.
You will need to keep salinity up fort least 2-3 weeks, to allow all dormant ick cysts to run thru their life cycle.
do i add salt every day? or every other day? or once a week? how often?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
do i add salt every day? or every other day? or once a week? how often?
Ivyou use salt as a treatment, and you do a water change the proper ratio of salt per gallon should be replaced with the new water.
Whenever there is ick, there are dormant cysts that sit in the substrate or bottom, they also get sucked into filters, so doing water changes that include vacuuming helps to remove these cysts thateventially hatch, and infect..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store