900 gallon plywood shark tank build

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
If I were you I might contact a lfs to see where they get their saltwater supplies from and move up the chain. Or you could ask an aquarium where they got their rock from. How large we talking about measurement wise?

dingodan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
vancouver bc
If I were you I might contact a lfs to see where they get their saltwater supplies from and move up the chain. Or you could ask an aquarium where they got their rock from. How large we talking about measurement wise?
I guess between 1 and 3 feet across? I hate the look of stacked rocks so wanted to just make 2 or 3 islands composed of 1 or 2 rocks each

dingodan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
vancouver bc
Ok more pics comin soon im almost done fiberglassing. One question i cant seem to find much information on is how thick the epoxy should be. Max acr says 0.02" which is insanely thin and i suspect its a typo. It also doesnt account for having a 7 oz cloth which requires alot of epoxy to fill. I will be finishing with 2 coats of sweetwater but i want to know if i should buy more max acr once im done fiberglassing (i have just enough to finish) before the sweetwater topcoats. The walls are considerably thinner than the floor as in i can still feel the texture of the fiberglass a bit. Not smooth like the floor.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Ive never used fiberglass and epoxy but have friends whom have and i think they have put on 5 layers of epoxy after glassfiber and then one layer top or gelcoat over the glassfiber.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Is that including or not including the epoxy required to fill the glass?
I think if i dont recall it wrong that its with filling the fiberglass to. On the epoxy they used i think its recommended to put 0.5mm per layer of epoxy then mix the last layer with black pigments and finish it of with black top or gelcoat. Me personally find it easier to build with pondliner instead:)

dingodan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
vancouver bc
IMG_20200328_222240.jpg
Glassing complete. 3oz on corners and 7 oz through out overlapping 10" from wall to floor. Was going to do another layer of 3oz on the corners but i think with the interlocked wood frame and max bond fillets it may not be necessary.

Reactions: dr exum

Homer Siped

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2015
Did you wet lay the cloth? When I did mine I did not, I used 3m adhesive and put cloth down and then went over it with resin. I struggled with tiny air bubbles. I sanded the couple bubbles I had out and laid a small patch of cloth and resin. But man pin holes and micro air bubbles ????. I had one that took 3 days to find, was literally the size of a pin head, only way I found it was my light hit it just right. Yours looks very good so far. I had 1 spot that didn't look like any resin was even on the cloth but is as smooth as glass, thought that was odd. As far as thickness of resin, I did 4 coats of resin with a sanding in between to get all the high spots down. It's like a piece of glass now inside. 4 years later after a dozen leaks when I first got it up, it's doing well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store