Will this work?

lasko2015

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2020
Im trying to build a pond for an aquaponics setup. The aquaponic forum doesn't have as much experience building ponds out of wood as the aquarium.

Dimensions:
Length - 6'
Width - 3'
Height - 2'

2x4 and 3/8 plywood

From the base plywood to the bottom of the top 2x4 is 2'.

aqua (2).pngaqua (3).png

or is building one like the king of diy better?

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Much easier and cheaper to just use 3/4 plywood and not need all those exterior 2x4's. A box that size made of screwed and glued 3/4 plywood is more than sufficient without any addition bracing.

I'm assuming you are not planning on sitting on the edge? If you are, then...I don't know. :)

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I like it! It might a bit over kill, but I really like over kill! Like jjohnwm said screwed and glued is the way to go!

A band of 2x4's flat around the top of the tank underneath the rim would support the rim nicely. If you fasten the top rim very securely it should be fine but a top band under the rim would definitely strengthen the rim.

What do you have for tools? If it were me I would leave all the vertical 2 x 4's a touch (1/8") long while building the sides then use a track saw / skill saw with a straight edge / table saw to trim the extra 1/8" all at once to get a really nice straight top edge. ...just a thought.

Last edited:

lasko2015

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2020
Welcome aboard
Yes the build would work but even with the liner I personally would waterproof the pond.
Thanks!
I don't think I could afford to do that. I do have 45 mil epdm. I will put underlayment so there's no contact with the wood. I think it will be carpet padding.

Much easier and cheaper to just use 3/4 plywood and not need all those exterior 2x4's. A box that size made of screwed and glued 3/4 plywood is more than sufficient without any addition bracing.

I'm assuming you are not planning on sitting on the edge? If you are, then...I don't know. :)
I don't plan on sitting on the edge but I was planning on placing part of the grow bed on the pond perpendicular. That'll be 6'x2'x1x. It'll be filled with lava rock and about 30 gallons of water.
I'm not even sure my bracing even adds additional strength. I'm wondering if I should make it like the studs on a house wall.

I like it! It might a bit over kill, but I really like over kill! Like jjohnwm said screwed and glued is the way to go!

A band of 2x4's flat around the top of the tank underneath the rim would support the rim nicely. If you fasten the top rim very securely it should be fine but a top band under the rim would definitely strengthen the rim.

What do you have for tools? If it were me I would leave all the vertical 2 x 4's a touch (1/8") long while building the sides then use a track saw / skill saw with a straight edge / table saw to trim the extra 1/8" all at once to get a really nice straight top edge. ...just a thought.
I will add the band on the top. Thanks for that. I do like the look of it, kinda like board and batten.

As far as tools go. I have those except a table saw.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks!
I don't think I could afford to do that. I do have 45 mil epdm. I will put underlayment so there's no contact with the wood. I think it will be carpet padding.

I don't plan on sitting on the edge but I was planning on placing part of the grow bed on the pond perpendicular. That'll be 6'x2'x1x. It'll be filled with lava rock and about 30 gallons of water.
I'm not even sure my bracing even adds additional strength. I'm wondering if I should make it like the studs on a house wall.

I will add the band on the top. Thanks for that. I do like the look of it, kinda like board and batten.

As far as tools go. I have those except a table saw.
I used a waterproofing deck stain brand Behr on my 180 stand. One gallon and still have a little left lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store