Best Way to Move a Tank

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
I’m having my floors redone. I’ve got the company to agree to lay the new floors up to my tank (90 gallon) so I can shift the tank onto the new floors, then they will lay where the tank currently is and then shift back. I am planning to do a 50% water change to move it, but curious anyone’s thoughts on best way to move about 6 feet twice without massively disrupting the stock. Any suggestions?

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
How long will it take them to lay new floor? What is your stock including size?
Just the water you are leaving in the tank will weigh 380 pounds. I think you should get 1 or 2 large totes and empty the tank. Move fish into totes until they complete the job.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Do not attempt to move the tank with 50% of the water in it, you are asking for trouble with that.

If the fish are small enough then I’d get some 5 gallon buckets and put them in there. If they aren’t small then I’d get say a 29 gallon from petco or a 40 breeder, set the tank and filters up in another room, then move the fish over. You can take down the tank and stand completely so the people can put down the floors then put the tank back up. You now have a spare tank.

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
How long will it take them to lay new floor? What is your stock including size?
Just the water you are leaving in the tank will weigh 380 pounds. I think you should get 1 or 2 large totes and empty the tank. Move fish into totes until they complete the job.
I’m hopeful less than a week in its entirety so thinking 3-4 days that the room with my tank will be disrupted. Trying to do as easily as possible since with as little stress to the stock as possible as we are doing the floors now because our 400 gallon that is being built is set to be delivered in mid-May and we’ll be getting rid of the 90

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
Do not attempt to move the tank with 50% of the water in it, you are asking for trouble with that.

If the fish are small enough then I’d get some 5 gallon buckets and put them in there. If they aren’t small then I’d get say a 29 gallon from petco or a 40 breeder, set the tank and filters up in another room, then move the fish over. You can take down the tank and stand completely so the people can put down the floors then put the tank back up. You now have a spare tank.
I’m trying to avoid another tank since this 90 will go when my 400 gets delivered. My stock currently is an 18-20” Silver Aro, 12” Kelberi Peacock, and 10” Clown Knife.” Hence the 400 upgrade.

Could I potentially do totes and simply drain the tank water into the totes? How big would I need and how to do filtration while they are in totes?

Worried about stressing the fish since keeping them long term is really the main reason for building new tank

Last edited:

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
You got a pic? Can’t you move tank to the garage or something temporarily?

I wouldn’t move anything over a 20g with any amount of water in it... could get a Rubbermaid 100g stock tank - use it / sell it...

craigslist?

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
When you say “redone” you mean sanding and 3 coats of that poly sumthin?

you probably don’t want any fish anywhere near any of that let alone humans... we were told we could not be in our house for 3 days...

Reactions: gatormfk

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
When you say “redone” you mean sanding and 3 coats of that poly sumthin?

you probably don’t want any fish anywhere near any of that let alone humans... we were told we could not be in our house for 3 days...
So my laminates are getting ripped out and replaced with wood-look tile. Ultimately will be way better for the tanks anyways. I suppose Garage could work temporarily. Worry a little about being too hot? I’m in FL and we’re supposed to get up to 90 this weekend

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store