Finally started it!!

pookie

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2011
Phoenix
Still cloudy so another water change tomorrow but I'm so happy with it already. Idk what to do with all the hornwort I got lol it's just kinda floating around right now until I figure out where to put it.
I took the overgrown sword out of my betta tank and gave him the anubis and a scrap of hornwort with his java since the sword was crowding out the entire tank pretty much lol

PSX_20200430_160027.jpg

IMG_20200430_213114_250.jpg

IMG_20200430_154321_612.jpg

Last edited:

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Still cloudy so another water change tomorrow but I'm so happy with it already. Idk what to do with all the hornwort I got lol it's just kinda floating around right now until I figure out where to put it.
I took the overgrown sword out of my betta tank and gave him the anubis and a scrap of hornwort with his java since the sword was crowding out the entire tank pretty much lol

View attachment 1415619

View attachment 1415620

View attachment 1415622
Honestly it would be just fine to leave the hornwort floating. Imo it actually grows better free floating then it does planted. It also provides a nice amount of cover for smaller fish to hide in.

pookie

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2011
Phoenix
Honestly it would be just fine to leave the hornwort floating. Imo it actually grows better free floating then it does planted. It also provides a nice amount of cover for smaller fish to hide in.
It kinda sunk down when I put it in, there is just so much.. I need a bigger male betta tank so I can put some in another tank lol

How long should I let it cycle before I add fish? I'm gonna snag a better test kit today while I'm out if I can find one and check where its at.. I always have done fish in cycles but I guess that's not the "norm" anymore from a few groups I'm in

Reactions: tlindsey

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
With new plants it is best to wait two weeks before adding any fish so that any potential parasites will have died off. I would recommend waiting longer to give the plants enough time to really get established and rooted too but that is personal preference that I don't even follow every time.

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
Looks great!

Reactions: pookie and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It kinda sunk down when I put it in, there is just so much.. I need a bigger male betta tank so I can put some in another tank lol

How long should I let it cycle before I add fish? I'm gonna snag a better test kit today while I'm out if I can find one and check where its at.. I always have done fish in cycles but I guess that's not the "norm" anymore from a few groups I'm in
It's usually a estimated time of 6 or more more weeks but with seeded bio-media from a cycled aquarium it will be earlier. I personally would make sure that my Ammonia and Nitrite level are stable with a positive Nitrate reading.

pookie

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2011
Phoenix
With new plants it is best to wait two weeks before adding any fish so that any potential parasites will have died off. I would recommend waiting longer to give the plants enough time to really get established and rooted too but that is personal preference that I don't even follow every time.
Understandable. I will wait at least just to be sure I have the water situated as well. First fish in will be a gourami, just because that's what I bought this fish for when I was done cycling the other tank. Just to make sure before I drop a lot of money on the main reason I setup the tank etc.

It's usually a estimated time of 6 or more more weeks but with seeded bio-media from a cycled aquarium it will be earlier. I personally would make sure that my Ammonia and Nitrite level are stable with a positive Nitrate reading.
Thanks, that's the plan.
I did another water change and netted out as much floaties as I could get. It's looking clearer today. I used media from my already established tank and put in some starter bacteria stuff.

PSX_20200501_182437.jpg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Nicely done! Looking forward to the growth of this tank.

Reactions: pookie

pookie

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2011
Phoenix
Trimmed up some of the melt and I had to loosely string the hornwort to the top because it's just laying on everything and not letting any light to the smaller plants. Nothing died yet lol
I do have a new light coming that will offer what my plants need for the days when I dont have the window open.
I had the gourami in the tank but he was eating everything! So he went back into the community tank..
How long before I should fertilize the tank? It's new dirt with clay balls in it..
So far so good though!

PSX_20200505_141442.jpg

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
Looks good!

Reactions: pookie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store