Stream Themed Tank

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Very cool!
Is the styrofoam all glued together and glued to the tank? Does it need to be sealed?
I siliconed it together, and partially sealed it. The pump on the right side of the tank kicks into an open space in the left side with enough flow to create a small water fall over the top of the rocks, but also flows through the rocks at all levels to create a flow from top to bottom.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
The pump and tube you can see in the first pictures are only temporary. I have the new pump, but between work and other obligations I haven't been able to work on the tank to much the past week. The pump is going in the space on the left side with a pipe running across just below the top of the water line then down the bottom corner where the current pump is. My plan is to paint it black to blend in with the back ground, then put plants on top of it to simulate and undercut bank...we'll see how that goes :) .

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I siliconed it together, and partially sealed it. The pump on the right side of the tank kicks into an open space in the left side with enough flow to create a small water fall over the top of the rocks, but also flows through the rocks at all levels to create a flow from top to bottom.
Nice! It looks great.

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Beautiful set-up. Are you planning on filling it right up to the top? That would increase your total water volume considerably; or are you keeping exposed rocks at one end for a specific reason?

Are you allowed in your state to set minnow traps for bait minnows? I have had outstanding success in catching small fish using these inexpensive traps; I release probably 99% of the fish I catch, but have come up with some very interesting specimens this way. Sticklebacks would be perfect for that tank. Emerald Shiners as well are fond of current; they're delicate to transport, but any that survive the first week tend to live long lives and they are very active and add a lot of life to a tank.

I don't know if you have those species, but there are probably many other types available to you locally.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Beautiful set-up. Are you planning on filling it right up to the top? That would increase your total water volume considerably; or are you keeping exposed rocks at one end for a specific reason?

Are you allowed in your state to set minnow traps for bait minnows? I have had outstanding success in catching small fish using these inexpensive traps; I release probably 99% of the fish I catch, but have come up with some very interesting specimens this way. Sticklebacks would be perfect for that tank. Emerald Shiners as well are fond of current; they're delicate to transport, but any that survive the first week tend to live long lives and they are very active and add a lot of life to a tank.

I don't know if you have those species, but there are probably many other types available to you locally.
Thanks, my plan is to keep it the level that its at, and have immersed plants on the pipe in the back to make an under cut bank. When I planned out the tank, it was based on the current water level. If I end up really liking it (which I do at the moment) I'm thinking of doing a similar style in my 180 once my trout passes, which would give me more space to work with. I do have a minnow trap and am allowed to do so. I have actually considered both species you have mentioned. I find part of the fun of this is going out and collected, but have been contemplating putting out a trap to see what I catch.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
4 new additions to the tank, I believe 2 are black nose dace, 1 is a Northern red belly dace, and the 4th I think is a black nose dace, but I'm going to have to confirm that once they come out of hiding. I originally though it was 2 and 2, but I think it might be 3 and 1.

1589066272175.png

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store