Nitrites are high please help

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
It seems like you have a mini cycle. I would get those nitrites down with water changes as advised. Treat it as if you are cycling a fish in tank. Do you have another established tank?

Also just fyi, a tonic dose of sodium chloride protects against nitrite poisoning.

Reactions: tlindsey

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Just what is your understanding of the nitrogen cycle and the importance of cycling a tank BEFORE adding your fish? If someone told you you've crashed your cycle and you said "I don't know what that means", then what people are telling you on here may well go over your head. There's loads of simple, easy to understand literature on line regarding the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium, and also more in depth detail too when you feel you're ready for it.

Reading between the lines I don't think your tank was ever cycled going off the time line, it was probably mid way through at best. And i'm betting you put fish straight in when you set it up? Having your test kit from the start would have benefitted you better. Firstly you get ammonia, then nitrite (which is where you're at), then nitrate starts to build and the other two nasty ones will go to 0ppm which is what ammonia and nitrite should ALWAYS be in an established tank.

For the time being water changes and seachem prime are going to be your closest friends.

Reactions: Drumm22

Drumm22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2020
It seems like you have a mini cycle. I would get those nitrites down with water changes as advised. Treat it as if you are cycling a fish in tank. Do you have another established tank?

Also just fyi, a tonic dose of sodium chloride protects against nitrite poisoning.
How do I make a tonic dose of sodium chloride?

Drumm22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2020
Just what is your understanding of the nitrogen cycle and the importance of cycling a tank BEFORE adding your fish? If someone told you you've crashed your cycle and you said "I don't know what that means", then what people are telling you on here may well go over your head. There's loads of simple, easy to understand literature on line regarding the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium, and also more in depth detail too when you feel you're ready for it.

Reading between the lines I don't think your tank was ever cycled going off the time line, it was probably mid way through at best. And i'm betting you put fish straight in when you set it up? Having your test kit from the start would have benefitted you better. Firstly you get ammonia, then nitrite (which is where you're at), then nitrate starts to build and the other two nasty ones will go to 0ppm which is what ammonia and nitrite should ALWAYS be in an established tank.

For the time being water changes and seachem prime are going to be your closest friends.
I've only had tanks for 6 months . And I was always just told you didn't have to cycle the tank before putting fish in if you transfer the water, substrate, and filters into the new tank first. I mean I waited about 8 hours of the tank running before putting the fish in. And I'm not saying I know anything bc I don't, I go off of what people with established tanks tell me. None of the fish seem distressed. Could it be from over feeding? Bc I have a nervous habbit of worrying about starving my fish. Or could it be bad tap water? I'm going to test my tap water for nitrites TN. My understanding for a cycle is you need the good bacteria to form then it "eats" the amonia then that waste turns to nitrites, the bacteria munches on that then it turns to nitrates?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Did you have a previously set up tank that you transferred substrate and a cycled filter to? Can you provide more details on that tank or link to previous posts on that tank.

Drumm22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2020
Did you have a previously set up tank that you transferred substrate and a cycled filter to? Can you provide more details on that tank or link to previous posts on that tank.
idk how to add the link. But I had a 30gal for 3/4 months and it was running smooth with basically all the same fish that's in this current tank besides 3 Geo's and a baby peacock thats going to its own tank. And I moved about 20gals to the 60gal tank, I put everything from the 30gal filter into the 60. And about 25% of the substrate plus the same plants.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Drumm22 Drumm22
So let’s start from the beginning, just to be clear.
This is in no way meant to be condescending ,Just trying to establish a base line of information if you already know all this just over look it.
Fish waste, uneaten food, and decaying plant matter all produce ammonia. Ammonia is poison to your fish and must be removed. When ammonia is present in an aquarium, a bacterium called Nitrosomonas will start to form. Nitrosomonas oxidizes ammonia and puts off a byproduct called nitrites. Nitrites are also poisonous to fish but less than that of ammonia. In the presence of nitrites, a bacterium called Nitrobacter will form which converts nitrites into nitrates. Nitrates are significantly less poisonous to fish and are removed from a tank by doing water changes. Plants will also feed off of nitrates so having a planted tank can slow the build-up of nitrates in an aquarium.

Now, Moving gravel and water or established filter media from one tank to another will help in starting this cycle sort of like a head start.
It doesn’t automatically guarantee that the cycle will be completely able to handle a fully or heavily stocked aquarium.
The new tank may still experience a spike in Ammonia or nitrites until the bacteria has time to reproduce in sufficient numbers to neutralize these.
I think this is what has happened.
You will need to continue proper maintenance and water change to keep these in check until your tank catches up.

Dosing a product to neutralize Ammonia and nitrites like Seachem Prime will add a level of protection.

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I have a couple things I'd like to say/add.

I don't like doing this first one but Kolton13 Kolton13 what the hell are you talking about? You are way way out in left field thinking about your grape snowcone instead of paying attention to the game.

Nitrite is part of the cycle. The bacteria that turns ammonia into nitrite is pretty easy to grow and keep alive. The bacteria that converts nitrite is a little more "unstable" and sometimes doesn't make this type of move well. Do you know if your water contains chlorine or chloramine? Also not good for any bacteria. You used prime? I like to get a reputable bottled bacteria any time I'm moving tanks or starting new. Helps to jump start the cycle and back it up for the first month or so. Since using a bacteria product I have lost zero fish and I have started tanks from nothing using them. I'm not saying or telling you this will cure all your ailments, it won't protect from parasites or viruses. It will convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. I've used with success microbacter7 mostly and a new one from a company called tlc it works just as well as mb7. I've had no luck with seachem or API branded products. Prodibio is another one that works well but it's very expensive and others work just as well.

Reactions: Drumm22
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store