Good foods for small pikes?

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
I just obtained a group of small C. saxatilis, around 2.5". They arrived two days ago and seem to be doing well despite a shipping delay that caused them to arrive a day late.
They're pretty active, exploring the tank, tagging along with a group of similarly sized Geophagus sveni.

However, they don't seem interested in eating. Totally ignoring the frozen bloodworms / mysis and vibra bites I've tried feeding. I used to have a belly crawler that swallowed anything that flowted inf ront of him, but these lil guys seem much pickeier.

Does anyone have any opinions on what theyd be most likely to eat? I considered blackworms but heard they could cause bloating.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I just obtained a group of small C. saxatilis, around 2.5". They arrived two days ago and seem to be doing well despite a shipping delay that caused them to arrive a day late.
They're pretty active, exploring the tank, tagging along with a group of similarly sized Geophagus sveni.

However, they don't seem interested in eating. Totally ignoring the frozen bloodworms / mysis and vibra bites I've tried feeding. I used to have a belly crawler that swallowed anything that flowted inf ront of him, but these lil guys seem much pickeier.

Does anyone have any opinions on what theyd be most likely to eat? I considered blackworms but heard they could cause bloating.
Pellet food will be the best. Give a little more time to adjust.

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Pellet food will be the best. Give a little more time to adjust.
Probably still settling in. Would retry a pellet once settled. If not then retry the frozen bloodworms.

Reactions: tlindsey

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Omega one frozen river shrimp (they are about an inch long), a good pellet, and small pieces of silversides would be a nice balanced diet for them. I always gave mine a mix of probably half pellets half frozen/live.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store