US breed asian arowanas

busy_kt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 28, 2010
enchanted forest
Guys,

Apologize if this has been discussed already but it is correct to assume that US breed Asian arowanas are legal? My understanding that Asians that's been here prior to the ban are legal. If it happens that they were to breed, could the frys be sold?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
It is my understanding that they can only breed in certain parts of the world due to something relating to magnetism with the earth and it’s near impossible to breed them out of those places.

I could be wrong on that.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Irregardless of breeding mechanisms, it is illegal to own Asian arowana in the states full stop. I don't think any grandfathered fish would even be alive now, less so breeding populations. Anyone who claims to be selling states-bred fish is most likely lying in a manner to lure in scam victims, we have seen several of these on the forum over the years.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Irregardless of breeding mechanisms, it is illegal to own Asian arowana in the states full stop. I don't think any grandfathered fish would even be alive now, less so breeding populations. Anyone who claims to be selling states-bred fish is most likely lying in a manner to lure in scam victims, we have seen several of these on the forum over the years.
Yeah it's a real shame that other countries can house these fish but the US won't allow them. I'd love to have one some day but that'll probably never happen in my life time. Same goes for snakehead, I'd love to have a few of the species but they are all illegal in the US even the ones that are already invasive in this country. From what I hear if your caught having one it's and extremely hefty fine with a good chance of jail time. As far as ik all the snakehead already in the US are a "kill on site" fish only and cannot be kept legally even tho they are already in our native water ways.

I wonder tho what other countries illegal fish species lists are like. Like we know the US has Asian arowana and any snakehead specie on their illegal fish species list but I wonder what, let's say Asia for an example, has for illegal fish species on their list.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I wonder tho what other countries illegal fish species lists are like. Like we know the US has Asian arowana and any snakehead specie on their illegal fish species list but I wonder what, let's say Asia for an example, has for illegal fish species on their list.
You don't want to even see South Africa's, although this is more of a guideline with how crook the importers are here :(

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Guys,

Apologize if this has been discussed already but it is correct to assume that US breed Asian arowanas are legal? My understanding that Asians that's been here prior to the ban are legal. If it happens that they were to breed, could the frys be sold?
Nope,think....fruit from a poisonous tree.

Reactions: twentyleagues

busy_kt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 28, 2010
enchanted forest
Hendre Hendre Aros in the states prior to the ban was grandfathered as okay to not be illegal. Hypothetically speaking, if they were to have bred are their frys illegal?

If you're blanketly saying all Asian aros as illegal but agree that grandfather Asians are okay...what about their offspring?

***Just as an FYI, Asians have bred and hobbyist are breeding them in tanks.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hendre Hendre Aros in the states prior to the ban was grandfathered as okay to not be illegal. Hypothetically speaking, if they were to have bred are their frys illegal?

If you're blanketly saying all Asian aros as illegal but agree that grandfather Asians are okay...what about their offspring?

***Just as an FYI, Asians have bred and hobbyist are breeding them in tanks.
That I could not answer, I am not based in the US. Would be a curious situation for sure, but to my knowledge there are none of those kicking around

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store