Salvini tank setup

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
Just a little update.

The salvinis are doing great so far and starting to color up ( at least one of them is )

The first couple days they would not come out did not eat or anything. I only assumed they were alive because the parameters were still good and I had no dead bodies.. lol

Because the tank is so big for them at this size (1"), I decided to add a few platys and giant danios to act as dithers and also encourage them to eat. This was like flipping a switch! They started coming out withing the hour.

Since then I have been able to get them eating 3 times a day, and from the looks of it they look a little bigger too.

I plan on keeping the platys with them but moving the danios to my 125 once they are a little bigger. I figure the live bearers will provide some live food going forward and still add movement on top.

20200624_093805.jpg

20200623_225329.jpg

20200623_225308.jpg

20200623_225145.jpg

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
Out of curiosity what is an ideal temperature to keep these guys at?

The tank is currently unheated but it sits between 78 - 80

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
I'm starting up a new tank and that goes on the "dont even think about it" list .

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
Anyone knows if this is normal behavior for salvinis or if there's something I need to keep an eye on?

I noticed that some of the time they like to perch vertically in some areas of the tank. I haven't noticed any aggression or chasing around so I dont think theres fighting going on.

Sorry for the crappy pics '- tank is riddled with diatom algae at the moment but all parameters are good so far. Nitrates around 15 -20 due to constant feeding

20200629_143225.jpg

20200629_143202.jpg

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
IMO there’s fighting going on. They may not be doing it when you’re around, but usually when cichlids try to hide themselves vertically in dark portions of the tank behind filters or in corners, it’s because they’re trying to get away from something that is bothering them. I’ve never seen mine do this before, they’re usually out and about.

Are they comfortable with you? Young cichlids will also do this if there’s not enough cover and they feel insecure in a large open space, so they hide when they see people come into the room.

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
IMO there’s fighting going on. They may not be doing it when you’re around, but usually when cichlids try to hide themselves vertically in dark portions of the tank behind filters or in corners, it’s because they’re trying to get away from something that is bothering them. I’ve never seen mine do this before, they’re usually out and about.

Are they comfortable with you? Young cichlids will also do this if there’s not enough cover and they feel insecure in a large open space, so they hide when they see people come into the room.

I might have to keep a closer eye to see. But yeah, I dont think they are completely comfortable still as they hide most of the time or dart out as soon as I come in to the room. They only really come out when food is offered.

Currently I only have the 3 little salvinis, a small bn pleco and 5 platies.

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
Beautiful tank. May I ask what you used for substrate. Going to try sand in a new 55 for the first time and the look is perfect.

Reactions: Galactik

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I might have to keep a closer eye to see. But yeah, I dont think they are completely comfortable still as they hide most of the time or dart out as soon as I come in to the room. They only really come out when food is offered.

Currently I only have the 3 little salvinis, a small bn pleco and 5 platies.
I'd add something active and not shy, like deep bodied tetras or maybe some sturdy wild-type livebearers. The activity may bring them out of their shell a bit. Platies are probably okay if you add more of them, or something like big swordtails or wild-type sailfin mollies.

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
Beautiful tank. May I ask what you used for substrate. Going to try sand in a new 55 for the first time and the look is perfect.
Thank you!

It is pool filter sand mixed with a little bit of black and tan sand.

I love pool filter sand but in my opinion it looks a little too uniform so I usually just sprinkle a little bit of a different color sand to get a more natural look.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store