50 to 125 gallons- HOB
over 125- sump
Any other thoughts?

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
My humble thought is that it is not useful to generalize in that manner.

The size of the tank means very little by itself. It all depends on what one wants to keep in them.
A 200gal with a few neons or guppies can be just fine with a sponge filter, and a 40gal can need major filtration (and water changes) if overstocked.

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
My humble thought is that it is not useful to generalize in that manner.

The size of the tank means very little by itself. It all depends on what one wants to keep in them.
A 200gal with a few neons or guppies can be just fine with a sponge filter, and a 40gal can need major filtration (and water changes) if overstocked.
Agreed. It's more about your stock and not the size of the aquarium. For example, I run a canister AND a 20 gallon overhead sump on my 75 but that's because I'm quarantining 25 baby Koi plus a baby channel cat, bluegill, and bowfin before they go into the pond. On the flip side, just the canister was good enough for 1 15" Jardini that I had in a 125. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I think that your filtration totally depends on your stock

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I have a 29 that is filled with nano fish and to be honest it could use an ac 70 in addition to the 2 sponge filters it already has. I also have two 75 gallons that to be honest would do best with a sump given the high stocking.

I also agree with the others. I could put a dozen neons in a 10,000 gallon and oxygen concerns aside I’m not even sure if it would require a filter while it I put an Oscar in a 40 breeder (I am using this as an example, I am not opening up conversation about it) then it would require heavy filtration along the lines of a canister or better yet a sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store