Parrot x Convict Fry

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
I had a platinum parrot and convict spawn and the eggs are just starting to hatch. I know the fry will survive off of the yolk sac for the first few days, but what do they eat after? What can I do to increase their survival rate? The mom does a great job keeping the other fish away from her cave. I do not have the ability to remove the other fish, or relocate the fry.

I currently feed the fish pellets in the morning, and frozen brine shrimp in the evening.

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
The best food for the babies is baby brine shrimp. You can buy the eggs and hatch them to feed live, but it is easier to buy the frozen cubes from your lfs, or to order some preserved ones in a jar online. That worked well for me when I was raising discus. As they get a little size on them you can crush flake food with your fingers to give them in addition to the baby brine.

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
The best food for the babies is baby brine shrimp. You can buy the eggs and hatch them to feed live, but it is easier to buy the frozen cubes from your lfs, or to order some preserved ones in a jar online. That worked well for me when I was raising discus. As they get a little size on them you can crush flake food with your fingers to give them in addition to the baby brine.
Thank you. Do you recommend using something like an eye dropper once the frozen baby brine is thawed to get it right into their cave?

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
An eye-dropper or turkey baster could work. How big is the tank? In a large tank the baby brine will be too dispersed if you just put it in the top. I have used a pipe to pour the thawed baby brine solution down to where the fry are, but the parents won't be happy with anything coming near their babies.

You could also use an airline tube to siphon the dissolved brine shrimp cubes from a container on top of the tank down to the location where the babies are. This only really matters the first few days or week, because by then they will be swarming up and taking a larger and larger portion of the tank.

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
An eye-dropper or turkey baster could work. How big is the tank? In a large tank the baby brine will be too dispersed if you just put it in the top. I have used a pipe to pour the thawed baby brine solution down to where the fry are, but the parents won't be happy with anything coming near their babies.

You could also use an airline tube to siphon the dissolved brine shrimp cubes from a container on top of the tank down to the location where the babies are. This only really matters the first few days or week, because by then they will be swarming up and taking a larger and larger portion of the tank.
It is a 75 gallon tank with a handful of other cichlids - all under 2’’. The male parent has been removed, so only the female parrot remains. Seems I’ll have to try the eye dropper/air tube method then.

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
I broke down and purchased a 10 gallon setup to grow out the fry. Moved the female with them for now as well. Didn’t plan on moving her too, but felt so bad when she was looking everywhere for the cave/fry.

0440B478-EBD6-4DBE-98E5-C5A55AC2A49C.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store