SRD Flowerhorn Grow out

nicocan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2020
First time posting on here, just wanted to share the growth of my SRD flowerhorn thus far. This is my first flowerhorn however, I've kept various SA/CA cichlids. Had a empty tank and was at my LFS, which is where I decided to pick this guy up since he was only 20 dollars. I also saw the potential, already had a minor hump and ran the tank. Didn't want to spend a lot on my first flowerhorn either so it was a no brainer. After doing some research, I have been grooming him and feeding the foods that I believe work best. I am obtaining great results, he's starting to grow a big head already, pearls are getting brighter, and fins are developing nice.

Got him at around 2" and is now maybe 2.5" kinda hard to tell. Bought him a month ago.

IMG_4346.jpg
July 18th (right around when I first bought him)
When I first got him he was a little damaged due to fighting with tank mates in fish store.

IMG_5912.JPG
July 20

IMG_7602 2.JPG
July 30

IMG_0102.JPG
Aug 1st

IMG_0119.jpg
Aug 3rd

Some pictures I put a little bit more effort into.

Also, when I first bought him the guy at my fish store couldn't tell me the type. Im assuming it's a SRD? if someone can confirm that would be great.

Just wanted to hear your guys thoughts regarding quality and potential of this fish. Thanks!

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Definitely the hump would get pretty big. I favor pearly fish and short mouth, this guy looks alright.

He looks slightly overfed to me.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
What foods are you feeding? A lot of information about flowerhorn’s on the internet if not most is misleading or false.

Reactions: Ruturaj

nicocan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2020
Definitely the hump would get pretty big. I favor pearly fish and short mouth, this guy looks alright.

He looks slightly overfed to me.
Thanks for the feedback! But yeah, I guess it's all personal preference. This time around kind of favored the head as most important, and really don't mind the long mouth. I do hope the pearls begin to come out more. Wanted to start with this guy, once I grasp a better understanding about Flowerhorns ill move on to the pearly Kamfa's.

Thanks for noticing he's a little overfed. I was feeding him 3 times a day with one fast day since he's small. I'll drop it down to only twice now. Appreciate the feedback

nicocan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2020
What foods are you feeding? A lot of information about flowerhorn’s on the internet if not most is misleading or false.
I feed okiko and grand sumo. Was using hikari bio gold plus before, but he never really seemed to enjoy it. Once I switched over, he now eats all the food very quickly.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
This is a lower quality flowerhorn although that is not relative too how enjoyable flowerhorn’s can be. Some flowerhorn come with deformities, most commonly lower quality specimens. Yours looks to have a caudal fin deformity. I think he’ll still turn out nice and still be a pretty cool looking fish. My first flowerhorn I got from petco I got for 12.99 had a stomach deformity but still became an awesome fish. Although I sold him before he reached adulthood
0CF6D092-CDEC-419D-87D5-F0E9B9A4E3D4.pngB2151F04-F1C3-47DE-8ABC-7CE348297E6A.png07467E9E-6847-4059-BF8A-4394C30FE2F4.jpeg

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
I feed okiko and grand sumo. Was using hikari bio gold plus before, but he never really seemed to enjoy it. Once I switched over, he now eats all the food very quickly.
Okiko is promoted by many but is a cheap and low quality food made for fast results as far as growth and color but at a cost in lifespan and health. I’ve seen many people on and off this forum experience either sickness (most commonly bloat) while feeding okiko and/or early death. I’ve heard ok things about grand sumo although the protein content is nowhere near as high as okiko it is still way too high for flowerhorn’s as flowerhorn’s have very poor digestion and all the counterpart species that make up flowerhorn’s are omnivorous and the protein is already far to high for them. Ime it’s best to stick to regular American cichlids foods of high quality such as northfin or new life spectrum. Omega one and hikari are also pretty good. Bio-gold being probably the best suited hikari pellet for flowerhorn’s. The foods your fish likes are equivalent to feeding them junk food.

nicocan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2020
This is a lower quality flowerhorn although that is not relative too how enjoyable flowerhorn’s can be. Some flowerhorn come with deformities, most commonly lower quality specimens. Yours looks to have a caudal fin deformity. I think he’ll still turn out nice and still be a pretty cool looking fish. My first flowerhorn I got from petco I got for 12.99 had a stomach deformity but still became an awesome fish. Although I sold him before he reached adulthood
View attachment 1427514View attachment 1427512View attachment 1427513
Ahhh got it, but yes I'm still enjoying the growing out process. Still has a ton of personality for being so small.

I did notice his fin though, just assumed it was like that from fighting. But now that I think it has yet to heal up, unlike the other portions of his fins. you're probably right, it is a deformity.

Still a pretty good looking fish for 13 dollars lol, how big was it when you sold it and how long did it take to get that large?

Reactions: HybridFinatic

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Ahhh got it, but yes I'm still enjoying the growing out process. Still has a ton of personality for being so small.

I did notice his fin though, just assumed it was like that from fighting. But now that I think it has yet to heal up, unlike the other portions of his fins. you're probably right, it is a deformity.

Still a pretty good looking fish for 13 dollars lol, how big was it when you sold it and how long did it take to get that large?
He was around 6-7 inches and it took about 6 months. These guys grow and change very rapidly. Best advice I can give is care for them just like any other Central American cichlid and provide good water quality and nutrition.

nicocan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2020
Okiko is promoted by many but is a cheap and low quality food made for fast results as far as growth and color but at a cost in lifespan and health. I’ve seen many people on and off this forum experience either sickness (most commonly bloat) while feeding okiko and/or early death. I’ve heard ok things about grand sumo although the protein content is nowhere near as high as okiko it is still way too high for flowerhorn’s as flowerhorn’s have very poor digestion and all the counterpart species that make up flowerhorn’s are omnivorous and the protein is already far to high for them. Ime it’s best to stick to regular American cichlids foods of high quality such as northfin or new life spectrum. Omega one and hikari are also pretty good. Bio-gold being probably the best suited hikari pellet for flowerhorn’s. The foods your fish likes are equivalent to feeding them junk food.
Yeah there's a ton of mixed opinions on here. But thanks for letting me know, ill feed the okiko sparingly until I finish of the pack I have. I'll feed the grand sumo more, until I can try out NLS. Overall I have been hearing some good thing regarding that food. So definitely worth a shot.

Reactions: HybridFinatic
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store