MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
well, i usually don’t like these types of videos... however having lost a prized leichardti that seems to be no longer available for purchase anywhere....

chalk one up for team arow ?- im sure it’s usually the other way around...

i dunno,,,

fish head how are your leafs? one of mine is getting small nip bites out of it... not sure the culprit

thanks for sharing!

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I’m down to 3, one has put much more size than the others and the second biggest one is still a good bit bigger than the smallest. I’m finding that bullying has dwindled the group down to almost nothing, I’m going to move them to separate tanks soon and maybe try a batch of 10 soon.

Reactions: dr exum

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Did anyone else find it odd that a top dwelling predator went after a bottom dwelling fish? That’s mainly why I made this thread but forgot to ask in the initial post.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
The Arowana didn't swim to the bottom of a 10-foot-deep pond to snag that catfish; it dipped down to the bottom of an aquarium that's probably 18 or 20 inches deep. If you saw a fish that size cruising along in the wild at 18 inches depth, you'd say it was right at the surface. Everything's relative.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Did anyone else find it odd that a top dwelling predator went after a bottom dwelling fish? That’s mainly why I made this thread but forgot to ask in the initial post.
As JJ says, for our tanks this is no anomaly at all but the norm I'd say.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
well, i usually don’t like these types of videos... however having lost a prized leichardti that seems to be no longer available for purchase anywhere....
Tell me about it,been looking for one for quite some time now.I can't remember the last time I saw them for sale.

Reactions: dr exum

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Arowana haven't much for cutting teeth and not going to be able to swallow beyond the pec & dorsal fins/spines - the cat's mid&tail will be mashed by the tongue & pallet, but likely spat out to recover... and wreak terrible vengeance.
Fish (and crocodilians & otters) that can & do eat catfish with any regularity have well developed cutting teeth, they attack tail-first & snip 'em off just behind the spines - think of all those snakehead & aba feeding YouTubes or Jeremy Wade seeking GTF & Dorado with a live catfish bait.

Asian & Auzzie arowanas are upper-water'ish but not so top-specific as the SouthAmericans - the analogy might be a trout.
Yes, I wander the fly-fishing forums also :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store