Global doom and gloom.

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
As someone who enjoys having knees capable of jumping down a mountain, a long life of immobility would suck.
If you consider the punishment your knees get, and that's just by supporting your body weight day in day out, it's hardly surprising that knees, along with hips are first to suffer in later life. I know you like to do a bit of running, and you mentioned in the "fitness and health" thread that you were getting a bike too. That's a good move imo.

I'm 52 and a keen biker. My knees are fine at the moment. In fact the only time I have problems with my legs is when I do a bit of running during the winter months when it's too cold to ride my bike, and too boring using my indoor trainer. You are blessed with better weather than us in the uk, riding a bike year round as exercise will be more beneficial, long term, than pounding your joints running.

That's only my opinion though, I know there are runners on here who'll disagree and that's fine.

Reactions: Hendre and lp85253

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I dunno...every so often a piece appears that seems to indicate science is on the verge of this or that breakthrough that will extend human life far beyond its current paltry span. You've really got to look for this info, because the media don't release just any old news...it's got to be bad news to make them deem it worth passing on. When it was revealed that the most recent generation would be the first in human history who were expected to live shorter lives than their parents, due to pollution/disease/chronic-stupidity/whatever, that was played up quite a bit, because it was bad news.

Then again, spending 120 or more years on this planet as it spirals towards chaos does actually sound like pretty bad news...:)
about that 120 years .. the human body *wears out* nothing science can do to fix that yet.. cloning isn't far enough along..

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
If you consider the punishment your knees get, and that's just by supporting your body weight day in day out, it's hardly surprising that knees, along with hips are first to suffer in later life. I know you like to do a bit of running, and you mentioned in the "fitness and health" thread that you were getting a bike too. That's a good move imo.

I'm 52 and a keen biker. My knees are fine at the moment. In fact the only time I have problems with my legs is when I do a bit of running during the winter months when it's too cold to ride my bike, and too boring using my indoor trainer. You are blessed with better weather than us in the uk, riding a bike year round as exercise will be more beneficial, long term, than pounding your joints running.

That's only my opinion though, I know there are runners on here who'll disagree and that's fine.
take a 3 mile (5k) walk every day .. problem solved .. btw , that's my routine..

Reactions: esoxlucius

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa

I ran because I was doing hockey and fit from swimming and therefore it wasn't too bad. Now running is a mission haha. Cycling is my main method of movement on campus next year so gotta get that going ;)

Reactions: esoxlucius

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
California really gets the short stick on everything it would seem, I know not of one thing that they have gotten the long stick on.

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
California really gets the short stick on everything it would seem, I know not of one thing that they have gotten the long stick on.
Year long beautiful weather, which when coming from the uk, and a bike rider, is a very attractive feature.

Though prolonged periods of such weather can have its downside, as we're all seeing now.

Reactions: celebrist

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I can’t speak about California without speaking about politics but I’ve lived here for 45 years, plus I lived here when I was a young child for years.

California is so large that you can find pretty much anything you want in this state.

Unfortunately it’s so large that you can hide an Enormous amount of malfeasance.

Reactions: celebrist

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I had a choice ten years ago about where to live. I picked the area where I was born. Sometimes in the winter it is too cold to do much such as riding a bicycle. Sometimes in summer it is oppressively hot or we get too much rain too often.
It would be nice to have mild temps year round with little rain to deal with. I thought about the west when looking for a place to live but decided the fires, droughts and in some places extreme heat were things that did not appeal.
I thought about further southeast or mid west. Too many tornadoes and hurricanes for many places. I did work near Willington NC two years. It was mild enough in winter but too hot and humid in summer.

My area gets some cold winter days and some snow but nothing like further north. Lately not much snow at all for a few years. We get some severe thunderstorms every year but few tornadoes. In the last ten years two low level tornadoes have passed in the area. I am currently in the third year of unusually high amounts of rain and some record flooding but this was preceded with a couple of moderate drought years. Not drought like some areas out west.

This week has seen the start of really nice fall like weather. Not too hot in the day and very cool at night. I could wish for this to be the weather all year but I have wished for other things and know how that goes.

Frankly the fires raging now and in the past have scared me off from some parts of the far west. I thought about areas out west but not on the coast such as Arizona or New Mexico but figure water will become a bigger problem.

I guess the truth is I am use to these mountains. When I was in NC on the coast I wanted to be back here and was happy to come back.

I have some distant family in northern California but we have lost touch over the years. I hope they are OK as I hope the folks I know on this site are OK.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
They claim that the big creek fire is almost 300,000 acres, and I think 300+ structures burned and 12 dead.

They claim it was 28% contained on Saturday. There hasn’t been much smoke lately. Otherwise no rain but the weather has been quite pleasant and I’ve been working on the dog kennel.
0FEFE365-DFF8-4EA5-8929-EFB213A9DEA1.jpeg
I had this canvas sewn down at tent city. The frame is made from pre-fabricated gate sections, the same as my dog kennel gates.
52848E25-B47F-4F16-BF22-55B0D2C864D8.jpeg

Reactions: deeda and pacu mom
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store