Final questions

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
Okay thanks to a lot of people on this website i’ve learned a lot from fish keeping. I just wasn’t sure how i would go on about in my current situation. So i had 2 severums with ick then fungus right after i think from a secondary bacterial infection. One of them died but my red is being treated in a 10 gal tank. He’s been recovering very well. I wanted to ask how long do i keep treating with paraguard and put him back in main tank. Also my oscar is in my main tank by himself right now. I bought an albino oscar this morning and put him in another 10 gal QT tank. How long do i keep him in there? and should i treat him with paraguard just in case?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In severe cases of Ick, it sometimes takes weeks to rid the tank of the protozoan.
I would wait before adding any new fish, until a least a couple weeks after all symptoms have disappeared (spots, itching etc).
Ick has the ability to go dormant, and there can be a few dormant individuals with inner timers that hatch out late.
By jumping the gun, you could easily relapse the tank into a second bout.
Consider how Covid is now making a comeback in certain areas after seeming to subside, when officials opened up too early allowing mass gatherings.
Its not so different.

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
In severe cases of Ick, it sometimes takes weeks to rid the tank of the protozoan.
I would wait before adding any new fish, until a least a couple weeks after all symptoms have disappeared (spots, itching etc).
Ick has the ability to go dormant, and there can be a few dormant individuals with inner timers that hatch out late.
By jumping the gun, you could easily relapse the tank into a second bout.
Consider how Covid is now making a comeback in certain areas after seeming to subside, when officials opened up too early allowing mass gatherings.
Its not so different.
Understood but when i took out the red to treat him in the QT tank, i ran the water at 95 degrees for 2 days, then emptied the water, cleaned and rinsed with bleach, put water back and put a filter from another well cycled fish tank in the main tank. Oscar is in there now and the tank is cycled. i wanted to know when i can add the red severum back in without any risks. Also how long i would need to quarantine my new fish

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
Understood but when i took out the red to treat him in the QT tank, i ran the water at 95 degrees for 2 days, then emptied the water, cleaned and rinsed with bleach, put water back and put a filter from another well cycled fish tank in the main tank. Oscar is in there now and the tank is cycled. i wanted to know when i can add the red severum back in without any risks. Also how long i would need to quarantine my new fish
That depends on the temperature of the water. Here is a good guide for you. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa006#:~:text=Water temperature has a tremendous,about 3 to 6 days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store