Convict controll

Thalassa

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2020
Hi all,

I have a breeding pair of convicts in a 30g and a 20G that is currently unused. My question is what would be a interesting fish I could put in the 20 to give the excess fry to? Is there a catfish or small pike that can live in a 20G that would enjoy convict fry? open to all suggestions.

Thanks

troutman54

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Michigan
you could put a crayfish in there to eat some fry but I wouldnt put it with the adults because the crayfish will tear the fins. I have marbled crayfish in a 20 gal that would catch and eat goldfish around the same size as it

Thalassa

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2020
you could put a crayfish in there to eat some fry but I wouldnt put it with the adults because the crayfish will tear the fins. I have marbled crayfish in a 20 gal that would catch and eat goldfish around the same size as it
Thanks Trout man thats a cool idea.

Reactions: troutman54

GentleGiantsCichlidKeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2020
Toronto, Canada
I also wouldn't recommend tankmates since they're ( the convict parents) with the fry. They will protect their babies from anything they consider a ''threat''. To be honest, they're mean from the get go, so they could harass a new tankmate for no reason. They would need to be removed immediately. Also, if the fry is not fertilized and rotting i'm surprised the fish isn't eating the eggs, they aren't? Even if they're many eggs.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Thalassa

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2020
I also wouldn't recommend tankmates since they're ( the convict parents) with the fry. They will protect their babies from anything they consider a ''threat''. To be honest, they're mean from the get go, so they could harass a new tankmate for no reason. They would need to be removed immediately. Also, if the fry is not fertilized and rotting i'm surprised the fish isn't eating the eggs, they aren't? Even if they're many eggs.

Hi Gentlegiant,

I have the convicts in a 30g by themselves and a empty 20g I wanted to keep something else in that I could feed the excess fry too.

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
I don't know much about tiger barbs, but I'm sure they probably would. Especially if the fry were put in when they were small, and still slow swimming.

Thalassa

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2020
Thanks, I will try the tigers first. In my investigation of this I became interested in pike cichlids. It looks like something a called a yellow tail dwarf pike can live in a 20 gallon. anybody familiar with those or other small pike cichlids? I saw a previous post about a "belly crawler" in a mfk post which is way to big, but got me interested in smaller pike cichlids.

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
Thanks, I will try the tigers first. In my investigation of this I became interested in pike cichlids. It looks like something a called a yellow tail dwarf pike can live in a 20 gallon. anybody familiar with those or other small pike cichlids? I saw a previous post about a "belly crawler" in a mfk post which is way to big, but got me interested in smaller pike cichlids.
Pikes are strong feeders IME, and should have no problem taking any fish small enough to eat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store