How to breed Apistogramma Cacatuoides successfully.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
As the title suggests I would like to hear everybody's "tips and tricks" on breeding this specific specie of Apistogramma. I recently got a few babies to try to breed in my 55g planted tank, but besides adding a couple of caves into the tank I really don't know what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
As the title suggests I would like to hear everybody's "tips and tricks" on breeding this specific specie of Apistogramma. I recently got a few babies to try to breed in my 55g planted tank, but besides adding a couple of caves into the tank I really don't know what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
My personal experience with a pair of Orange Flash was quite interesting. When the pair spawned the female was extremely aggressive but at the time only had the Banjo Catfish in with the pair. Despite the size of the female she feared nothing not even me when I approached the aquarium. You may be ok because of them being in a planted aquarium. That is great you put a few caves in the aquarium the females will need them. My female chose a small hollow tree stump to lay her eggs. I didn't have time to rear the fry so I left them in the aquarium and quite sure the Banjo Catfish got them.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My personal experience with a pair of Orange Flash was quite interesting. When the pair spawned the female was extremely aggressive but at the time only had the Banjo Catfish in with the pair. Despite the size of the female she feared nothing not even me when I approached the aquarium. You may be ok because of them being in a planted aquarium. That is great you put a few caves in the aquarium the females will need them. My female chose a small hollow tree stump to lay her eggs. I didn't have time to rear the fry so I left them in the aquarium and quite sure the Banjo Catfish got them.
Btw I thought it would be difficult but found out if conditions are right you shouldn't have a problem with the Apistogramma spawning. If anything it may be territorial issues.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I recently picked up a trio myself, would be interested the hear as well. They are in a heavily planted community 29 gallon tank. I have them with a group of rummynose. So far having a bit of trouble feeding them. They are still settling in I suppose. I think the rummy nose are a bit too much if I plan to breed the apistos. Any thoughts on what I should be feeding? Right now they only seem to take blood worms.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I recently picked up a trio myself, would be interested the hear as well. They are in a heavily planted community 29 gallon tank. I have them with a group of rummynose. So far having a bit of trouble feeding them. They are still settling in I suppose. I think the rummy nose are a bit too much if I plan to breed the apistos. Any thoughts on what I should be feeding? Right now they only seem to take blood worms.
Like you stated they are settling in. I was feeding Fluval Bug bite pellets for small to medium fish and they also ate flake food. If they are are smaller than a inch crush the pellets between your fingers.

Pterophyllum sp

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2020
If the goal is to breed them, put the flake food away. Ample live and frozen food will convince the vast majority of apistogramma to spawn IME. Set the heater to 76/77*, and prepare the brine shrimp hatcheries.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
thinking of picking up some of these for a 45g planted -

4 groups of 4? or singles x ?

just starting to research these -

like the banjo catfish idea, think a couple dwarf crenchila

Reactions: tlindsey

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Yeah sadly mine didn't last long. My angels decided shortly after getting the apistos that it was a good idea to start breeding. Well you can just imagine how well it went between 2 4in tall angels against 3 1in long apistos. Granted never seen the angels do it but that's my main guess on what happened, either that or they just couldn't handle to high PH I have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store