redfin pickerel

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
just wanted to show off my redfin
legally collected him this June as a 2.5 in juvenile wasn't sure of the species at the time but now that its matured I'm pretty confident on my ID, and also pretty happy
View attachment 1439899
*please forgive the messy tank
Welcome aboard
Very nice looking Pickeral. What is the temperature of the water?

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
I am curious. You said legally collected? Can you explain? I have never kept a fish that was collected from the wild. Is there permitting needed or what is the process.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I am curious. You said legally collected? Can you explain? I have never kept a fish that was collected from the wild. Is there permitting needed or what is the process.
You can actually collect certain native species with a fishing license but that fish collected can not be on the endangered list. I personally can collect Rainbow Darter in my state with a fishing license.

aaronhas

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
I actually have a scientific collection permit through my work which pretty much gives us free rein in pa as long as its for work. This fish was actually caught micro fishing in Delaware though. There redfin pickerel can be fished with no size/closed season. For native fish in PA that cant be collected legally as long as you have documentation that it wasn't taken from PA waters and was harvested legally you can keep it in aquaria. In this case I have an in situ photo of the fish with a location stamp. This only applies to PA/DE always make sure you're familiar with your local laws of course

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Nice. Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you might have an interesting job.
I have done a good bit of fishing in PA myself and have seen some interesting fish that I wouldn’t mind keeping in an aquarium.

Reactions: aaronhas

aaronhas

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
Nice. Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you might have an interesting job.
I have done a good bit of fishing in PA myself and have seen some interesting fish that I wouldn’t mind keeping in an aquarium.
we have a good bit of biodiversity in pa, I work for parks and rec as a naturalist so i do a lot of stream monitoring and biodiversity studies, mostly in South Eastern PA. if you have a fishing license and legally catch the fish (follow all seasons and bag limits) you can keep it for your aquarium! unfortunately redfin pickerel are lumped together by the fish commission here with chain and grass pickerel which have a 18in size limit which pretty much renders them illegal to keep since they max out at about a foot

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store