How to setup a co2 system?

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
I finally want to try a high tech planted tank, I want to make this as cheap as possible so I’ll be using a 2 gallon so almost any light will be sufficient. But I’m wondering how I can setup a co2 system for cheap($50>) that’ll last for a good amount of time. I found these cartridges on Amazon and wondering if these would work, but how would I set it up, would I need a regulator, bubble counter, or just a diffuser setup straight to the cartridge? But how would I connect the air tube to the cartridge?

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
cartridge bad... refillable canister good -

was burning though those carts 1 per week or less - regulators are ish...

chinese regulator also bad....

i think there’s no $50 setup....

tank - $100
regulator - $50
diffuser- $10
tubing - $5
fill tank - $20

the diffuser is somewhere you can skimp and save - others not so much....

2nd hand ur best best -

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Why does co2 have to be so expensive lol. I’ll just try and experiment with diy co2, there are a lot of good videos out there, so hopefully it’ll be enough for a smaller tank.

Reactions: dr exum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Why does co2 have to be so expensive lol. I’ll just try and experiment with diy co2, there are a lot of good videos out there, so hopefully it’ll be enough for a smaller tank.
you’re not located in the 360 area code are you?

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
ahh - if you were local was going to help you out....

i’ve got lots of excess in the co2 dept -

honestly - my tank with fresh and plant light and plant gravel is doing better than the two tanks with co2 that don’t have plant gravel

Reactions: Fishnerd360

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
ahh - if you were local was going to help you out....

i’ve got lots of excess in the co2 dept -

honestly - my tank with fresh and plant light and plant gravel is doing better than the two tanks with co2 that don’t have plant gravel
Oh, if I was setting up my larger tank, then maybe I’ll spend that much for co2, but on a 2 gallon, I’ll be spending more on co2 then I would on everything else lol. But good to know about your tanks doing good with plant gravel, I guess nutrients are better than co2.

Reactions: dr exum

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
Not sure how it works in your area. Is it cheaper to refill/buy a fire extinguisher than a gas cylinder? I've seen people using fires extinguishers rigged up to regulators.

Also a lot of Chinese made Co2 regulators and accessories go for cheap on line these days. Not the best but does the job.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store