Which fish are easier to keep: firemouth cichlids or convict cichlids?(Also please give tips lol)

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Firemouth cichlids act like tetras in the fact they prefer to be in a group, not as a single. Whereas the convict is used to being a single in hunt of a mate or a breeding pair. So you will see more natural behavior from the con. The firemouth will be looking for kin to shoul with.

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Both aren’t that demanding. Really depends on what you want, firemouths have better colors but convicts have better personalities.
I would say convict, all the fun of a much larger cichlid but in a 6 inch body.
I also agree that adding dither fish is a good move, it keeps the cichlid more comfortable and also adds activity to the tank.

Username...

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2021
Thanks for all the helpful information, sorry for being late to check lol I was busy but I think I will decide on a convict cichlid, but should I add dither fish for the convict and if so what fish should I add.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadeye and Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
In all honesty I would think smaller than a Convict. Males can with care and time grow out to 6in or better. That would be a tight fit and look as silly as 12in Oscar's in a 55gal.
I would look for smaller members of the Amatitlania family like Nanolutae or Honduran Red Points. The males only grow out to 4in so relatively more space that the Convict.
As far as dithers go, to be more bio graphically natural go with a live barer like Swordtails or Plattys.
Or a nice tall bodied Tetra like Black skirts, Buenos Aries, Bleeding Hearts etc. Smaller Tetras could be late night snacks, as i have learned first hand.
20190108_210422.jpg
Adult male HRP
20201202_114741.jpg
Adult male Nanolutae

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
Thanks for all the helpful information, sorry for being late to check lol I was busy but I think I will decide on a convict cichlid, but should I add dither fish for the convict and if so what fish should I add.
A small species of schooling fish which move quick would be ideal.Some people say they've had success with zebra danois but some do go missing every few months?.My convicts don't realize how small they are and pick fights with much bigger fish and for some odd reason they always seem to win lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store