Can someone tell me what type of flowerhorn this is?

Eøn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2021
I was told by the breeder it is a Male kamfa but his kok seems to be very small for a male. He's around 5 inches in size.
This is my first time buying a flowerhorn and this Particular flowerhorn looks amazing so I decided to purchase it.
My tank is still being cycled so he's still with the breeder but I wanted to know what kind of flowerhorn he actually is.

Screenshot_20210225-001958.jpg

Screenshot_20210225-001958.jpg

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
The kok grows. It seems like a male kamfa. I don't believe it is a female. Magnus Bane, am I right?

Eøn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2021
Alright...Cool!
He's covered in pearl blue colour I don't know much about it but he looks different from the other flowerhorn like SRD and he was the only one with this colouring so I decided to get him home.
Are kamfa different from normal flowerhorn?
I am new to this so any advise would be really appreciated....
Thank you for your replies

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Kamfa is just a breed. Flowerhorn is a hybrid cichlid, and they are bred for different colors, kok sizes, etc. Kamfa, Thai Silk, Red Dragon, etc. are all examples of flowerhorn breeds. So besides color and kok size, Kamfas aren’t any different than other flowerhorns.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I agree with what deadeye said. Magnus_Bane is a flowerhorn wizard. He can tell you everything there is to know about them. But to save him the time and effort, look at the mfk archives. There are plenty of things about flowerhorns. What size tank is he in?

Reactions: Deadeye

Eøn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2021
I have set up a 60 gallon aquarium for him currently being cycled. As of now he's with the breeder itself. I'll be introducing him to his new home by day after tomorrow. I have purchased another flowerhorn with this one I'll attach the picture of that too. He looks more like a parrot fish than a flowerhorn but he was following me whenever I was going around the display tank so I decided to take him/her as well.
I am using lava rocks as the substrate. He suggested me not to use any kind of gravel but since I have had cichlids before I know how much they love moving rocks around and lava rocks will help the good bacteria grow too so I went with that as a substrate.
This is the picture the breeder has sent me after separating it from the display tank and it's not very clear. If possible please tell me what kind of fish this is. He tells this is a flowerhorn too.IMG_20210212_135749.jpg

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I have set up a 60 gallon aquarium for him currently being cycled. As of now he's with the breeder itself. I'll be introducing him to his new home by day after tomorrow. I have purchased another flowerhorn with this one I'll attach the picture of that too. He looks more like a parrot fish than a flowerhorn but he was following me whenever I was going around the display tank so I decided to take him/her as well.
I am using lava rocks as the substrate. He suggested me not to use any kind of gravel but since I have had cichlids before I know how much they love moving rocks around and lava rocks will help the good bacteria grow too so I went with that as a substrate.
This is the picture the breeder has sent me after separating it from the display tank and it's not very clear. If possible please tell me what kind of fish this is. He tells this is a flowerhorn too.View attachment 1452549
Looks like a short body red dragon to me

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yeah, short body flowerhorn.
Rocks are fine when small but as they grow they are known to injure themselves. Flowerhorns are known for weak immune systems so injury can be bad.
Are you going to keep them together?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
First FH seems to be a female Kamfamalau, they are known for their almost seemingly bioluminescent pearls. They are also a subset from the Kamfa line so they will look similar as fry but will diverge in looks at your girl's size. These FH's a made essentially the same way a Magma FH is, Kamfa x ZZ Red Dragon, only difference it that the Magma line goes for more of the Kamfa body style and smaller kok while gaining the red dragon colors. Kamfamalau's went the opposite way, more of a red dragon body style/kok size and gaining the Kamfa colors/pearls. Unique thing about this line tho is that they are known to have much brighter pearls then most FH's and are the only FH's that I know of that get green pearls instead of white or blue like the Kamfa or red dragon lines.

The second one is probably either a SB red dragon or a kirin parrot (FH x BP hybrid). No clue on the gender at that size let alone it'll be much harder to sex then a regular/long body since SB's don't tend to grow big koks.

Best way to sex em tho is to take em out and vent them. The vent is the hole closet to the anal fin and the anus is the furthest away. If the vent is larger then the anus it's a female but if it's the same size or smaller then it's a male. Here's a pic to show what I mean.

cameringo_20200609_004757.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store