Can someone tell me what type of flowerhorn this is?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I thought males had the most color. Don’t they?
Males and females can look equally good with any line of FH's. Their colors aren't gender specific. Only things that can be gender specific are the kok size and fin streamers, this however is not a 100% fool proof way of sexing them tho as females can also have large koks and long streamers on their fins just like most males get. The females just have much lower odds of getting those traits when compaired to a males. When I still had Big Bertha, she had all the traits of a male but the vent said otherwise.

Eøn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2021
Yeah, short body flowerhorn.
Rocks are fine when small but as they grow they are known to injure themselves. Flowerhorns are known for weak immune systems so injury can be bad.
Are you going to keep them together?
No they will have their own tank.
Fine then I'll remove the substrate I don't want him to get injured in anyway

Reactions: Bbuckley

Eøn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2021
First FH seems to be a female Kamfamalau, they are known for their almost seemingly bioluminescent pearls. They are also a subset from the Kamfa line so they will look similar as fry but will diverge in looks at your girl's size. These FH's a made essentially the same way a Magma FH is, Kamfa x ZZ Red Dragon, only difference it that the Magma line goes for more of the Kamfa body style and smaller kok while gaining the red dragon colors. Kamfamalau's went the opposite way, more of a red dragon body style/kok size and gaining the Kamfa colors/pearls. Unique thing about this line tho is that they are known to have much brighter pearls then most FH's and are the only FH's that I know of that get green pearls instead of white or blue like the Kamfa or red dragon lines.

The second one is probably either a SB red dragon or a kirin parrot (FH x BP hybrid). No clue on the gender at that size let alone it'll be much harder to sex then a regular/long body since SB's don't tend to grow big koks.

Best way to sex em tho is to take em out and vent them. The vent is the hole closet to the anal fin and the anus is the furthest away. If the vent is larger then the anus it's a female but if it's the same size or smaller then it's a male. Here's a pic to show what I mean.

View attachment 1452554
Thank you so much Magnus_Bane...!
I don't think I'll be able to check him/her out by holding them out of the tank. I don't mind male or female I am fine either way.
There were 2 good food 1 for enhancing colours and 1 for good kok growth so which one do I choose?
And how big can they become in size after full growth?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I don't think I'll be able to check him/her out by holding them out of the tank. I don't mind male or female I am fine either way.
There were 2 good food 1 for enhancing colours and 1 for good kok growth so which one do I choose?
It’s pretty easy to vent, just look at the holes by the anal fin and if one hole is bigger- female. It’s that easy

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
The main thing when feeding FH's is don't feed any food that is too high in protein. These fish profit heavily on a more plant based diet rather then a meat based diet. Personally I'm feeding mine omega one cichlid pellets and some hikari blood parrot formula pellets. Both keep a reasonable level of protein and quality ingredients while still being on the cheaper side.

As for the kamfamalau's max size your looking at anywhere between 8-14in depending on if it's male or female, females tend to stay smaller then males. And the SB/Kirin? could be between 6-12in depending on male or female and whether it's a Short body or a Kirin parrot, Kirin's tend to end up a bit larger then SB's from what I've seen.

Eøn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2021
It’s pretty easy to vent, just look at the holes by the anal fin and if one hole is bigger- female. It’s that easy
Alright I'll check it and update you guys but as of now cannot wait to get her home

Eøn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2021
The main thing when feeding FH's is don't feed any food that is too high in protein. These fish profit heavily on a more plant based diet rather then a meat based diet. Personally I'm feeding mine omega one cichlid pellets and some hikari blood parrot formula pellets. Both keep a reasonable level of protein and quality ingredients while still being on the cheaper side.

As for the kamfamalau's max size your looking at anywhere between 8-14in depending on if it's male or female, females tend to stay smaller then males. And the SB/Kirin? could be between 6-12in depending on male or female and whether it's a Short body or a Kirin parrot, Kirin's tend to end up a bit larger then SB's from what I've seen.
Shall I start with hikari cichlid bio gold then?
Coz I had seen this food at the place where I am going to bring her from and I already have dried shrimp and mealworms which I don't know if I should feed them

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store