Sitting on the bottom?

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
Thanks Rocksor.

You had good timing with your response because after watching him for the past week I decided to put him back in the QT today.
He's hasn't gotten any better or worse and was still eating but there's definitely something wrong. He sits on the bottom and using his pectoral fins makes him wobble on his axis.

Hey, looking back at your previous posts: did you mean a TEASPOON of TABLESPOON of Epsom salts?

Thanks again.

Reactions: Bbuckley

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Thanks Rocksor.

You had good timing with your response because after watching him for the past week I decided to put him back in the QT today.
He's hasn't gotten any better or worse and was still eating but there's definitely something wrong. He sits on the bottom and using his pectoral fins makes him wobble on his axis.

Hey, looking back at your previous posts: did you mean a TEASPOON of TABLESPOON of Epsom salts?

Thanks again.
it should be 1 teaspoon /5 g, not 10g, if you put 1 tablespoon per 10g, it wouldn’t hurt the fish

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
UPDATE

After another week of treatment he was looking much better again. After that time I decided to keep him in quarantine for an additional two weeks just to be sure. During that two weeks I gave daily fin level WCs and fed him well. He was looking and acting great so I put him back in the 300. He continued to show no issues for another two weeks or so but then they started to return.

He’s not doing very well now although he’s still happy to see me and never turns down a meal.

What’s the prognosis of a situation like this? I have to believe he will continue to decline. Will there come a time when I’ll need to put him down? This is a major bummer.

960FFF9C-CCD1-4B5F-9BCE-E7C1D0B7931F.jpeg

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Have you tried keeping him as a solo fish. It sounds like he does alot better when solo in QT.
Saggitae in the wild are open water predators, as so very accustomed to being alone. Maybe the stress of other fish is causing the sickness.
Casper is just viscous enough to kill anything you put in with him. Yours may be more timid in that regards. He does spend time tho sitting on the bottom behind his rocks.

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
Have you tried keeping him as a solo fish. It sounds like he does alot better when solo in QT.
Saggitae in the wild are open water predators, as so very accustomed to being alone. Maybe the stress of other fish is causing the sickness.
Casper is just viscous enough to kill anything you put in with him. Yours may be more timid in that regards. He does spend time tho sitting on the bottom behind his rocks.
true that, i think its best keeping him as a solo fish and see how that turns out. :thumbsup:

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
UPDATE

After another week of treatment he was looking much better again. After that time I decided to keep him in quarantine for an additional two weeks just to be sure. During that two weeks I gave daily fin level WCs and fed him well. He was looking and acting great so I put him back in the 300. He continued to show no issues for another two weeks or so but then they started to return.

He’s not doing very well now although he’s still happy to see me and never turns down a meal.

What’s the prognosis of a situation like this? I have to believe he will continue to decline. Will there come a time when I’ll need to put him down? This is a major bummer.

View attachment 1457340
I would agree that the issue returning could be a large result of the stress of other fish in the tank. Put him back in QT without treatment and see how long it takes for it to recover. Then see how long it stays well in QT (past the longest time in the 300).

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
Hmmm.....interesting concept although he's always been the biggest fish in the tank and has always pretty much ran the place but definitely worth a try.

The only issue I have now is the two tiny convicts I put in the QT to hold the cycle. The little buggers already have fry in the tank. Gezzzzz........rabbits I tell ya! Rabbits! LOL
And coming from Petsmart I need to give THEM some quarantine time before putting anyone else in that tank.

Oh, the trials and tribulations of fish keeping! Do you think the wife would understand my urgent need for another tank?? :redface:

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Hmmm.....interesting concept although he's always been the biggest fish in the tank and has always pretty much ran the place but definitely worth a try.

The only issue I have now is the two tiny convicts I put in the QT to hold the cycle. The little buggers already have fry in the tank. Gezzzzz........rabbits I tell ya! Rabbits! LOL
And coming from Petsmart I need to give THEM some quarantine time before putting anyone else in that tank.

Oh, the trials and tribulations of fish keeping! Do you think the wife would understand my urgent need for another tank?? :redface:
Get a black storage tough tote, and put the convicts in there. If the wife says you cannot have another tank, then tell her it's not. You are storing the convicts in the tough tote for future use....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store