Does convict cichlid fry tank need a heater?

PartyHacks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2019
It's coming up on day 10 since hatch.

They are free swimming fry, and I need to move them soon for they will get eaten.

Will they be okay in another tank without a heater?

Reactions: B.P.M and tlindsey

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I would also like to add that most convicts make for terrific parents. Even first time parents tend to have a very high success rate for raising their fry to juvi's. Personally I'd let them try to raise their own fry for the first few breeding sessions and if it doesn't work out by then then I'd take things into my own hands. But honestly tho they should do a fine job of raising the fry themselves.

PartyHacks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2019
I would also like to add that most convicts make for terrific parents. Even first time parents tend to have a very high success rate for raising their fry to juvi's. Personally I'd let them try to raise their own fry for the first few breeding sessions and if it doesn't work out by then then I'd take things into my own hands. But honestly tho they should do a fine job of raising the fry themselves.
From what I read, they make terrific parents until a new batch of eggs arrive then they kill all of their old fry. That is why I wanted to move them. Guess the only thing I can do is try it :D

Just a heads up, Convicts (Amatitlania sp.) aren't African, they are from Central America.
I point that out because you out them in thr=e Rift Lake Cichlid section. The water temps they come from are usually in the mid to upper 70sF.
Also dang! I really had no idea LOL. I could have sworn they were africans because for some reason I picture the african lakes a hard place for fish to survive with all the predators, so maybe that was why they reproduce so much and are so aggressive.

Depends what The water temp is. If it is above 65 (at lowest), they should fine. Under 70, It would be hit or miss.
I'll put a few of them in the tank and find out!

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
From what I read, they make terrific parents until a new batch of eggs arrive then they kill all of their old fry. That is why I wanted to move them. Guess the only thing I can do is try it :D
This is correct, generally they will clean out (aka eat) their old fry before laying new eggs. My understanding is that they do this because in the wild any fry that linger around the parents for too long past when they are free-swimming, are seen as defective. They figure the energy would be better spent going toward the new eggs.

Reactions: B.P.M

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Dramatically cut back on the feeding of the parents, like to once a week. Feed the fry with infusoria, which you can easily grow yourself with old tank water, a jar, and sunlight. If you keep feeding the parents regularly, they will become conditioned again to breeding, hence the reason why they kill their fry.

B.P.M

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
UK-STEVENAGE
i have had cons breeding for years when i was raising hoplias malabaricus ,he is dead now at 10 years old 16in,
i would agree that over 70c is where your aiming for, i have raised they at lower temps but seem to get more females
then male so i added a heater (at around 75/78) and seem to get more males,(as males are bigger)
plus they will grow faster at higher temps

also id say leave the parents some baby's as they can fall out of love!!..lol
they seem to blame each other for the loss if you take them all,not always but it has happened to me quite a bit
so now ill always leave them with some

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store