do red eye pufferfish have a fast growing beak?

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
turns out marbled crays are illegal in oregon which isn’t surprising because we have problems with some invasive species of crayfish. do you know of any other cloning crayfish species?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
turns out marbled crays are illegal in oregon which isn’t surprising because we have problems with some invasive species of crayfish. do you know of any other cloning crayfish species?
I think they are only ones that can clone, I’m pretty sure it was a mutation in an originally normal crayfish.
You could always get a couple of feeder crayfish from a pet store or bait shop, they are incredibly easy to breed.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
They're not bad at all. The ones that grow like crazy are auriglobus and the Amazon puffers. The rest are very manageable.

Here's a legit caresheet to help you out.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
ill be going to a petstore later for water conditioner would it be worth buying mystery snails for it?

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
I think they are only ones that can clone, I’m pretty sure it was a mutation in an originally normal crayfish.
You could always get a couple of feeder crayfish from a pet store or bait shop, they are incredibly easy to breed.
allot of species are illegal in oregon because the native species of cray fish is competing with 4 invasive species so all that i ever see for sale are mexican dwarf crays. this is why i originally planned on catching invasive ones deworming them via saltwater and breeding them. i can skip the salt water if you dont think the parasites would be a problem.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
i threw in feeder snails and am now noticing some are malaysian trumpet horn snails should i remove them so he doesnt hurt his jaw or is that a myth?

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Mts are too hard. Just go down to the local Petco & ask for their pest snails. Those are usually the small pond snails. They stay small & breed like crazy. Most puffer keepers also have a snail tank. I wouldn't bother with crawfish for such a small puffer. When you have a bigger species most people will buy lbs of crawfish in season then freeze them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’ve had mts with dwarf puffers and they never touched them. Better safe than sorry though.
I would actually recommend Mexican dwarf crays, they are smaller and a redeye will have a much easier time with them than a larger crayfish.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
I’ve had mts with dwarf puffers and they never touched them. Better safe than sorry though.
I would actually recommend Mexican dwarf crays, they are smaller and a redeye will have a much easier time with them than a larger crayfish.
i wouldnt be concerned with a dwarf puffer since eat them through the front but red eye just crushes them. dwarf crayfish are like 20$. if i breed the crays ill be feeding off babies the same size as dwarf crayfish or smaller.

Reactions: Deadeye

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Mts are too hard. Just go down to the local Petco & ask for their pest snails. Those are usually the small pond snails. They stay small & breed like crazy. Most puffer keepers also have a snail tank. I wouldn't bother with crawfish for such a small puffer. When you have a bigger species most people will buy lbs of crawfish in season then freeze them.
i have quite a few snail breeding tanks. im kind of concerned with the petco snails i dont know why. i tried cracking them and came to the same conclusion. i removed most of them and through them in a different tank. should i be worried about him trying to eat any i miss or is it not a hige concern? theres no substrate for the mts to live undetected in.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store