HELP! My fish tank has this slimy stuff allover it

alvinguo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2021
I can't see it (some of them are visibleWhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 13.58.32.jpeg), but i can feel the slime. Most of it is on the roots of my frogbits, and some on the aquarium walls, and more on the indian almond leaves. I don't have any otherthings in there except an internal filter. my fish (channa androa) is on the way from the breeder

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
So i'm taking it that this is a new tank all set up and ready for your new arrival? It is common for new tanks to experience this "slime". Usually it grows on driftwood, it is harmless and will subside in time. Some fish will even eat it, especially plecos.

What concerns me more though is whether your tank is ready for your channa, as in cycling wise. How are you cycling it in preperation for its addition?

Welcome to the forum by the way.

alvinguo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2021
So i'm taking it that this is a new tank all set up and ready for your new arrival? It is common for new tanks to experience this "slime". Usually it grows on driftwood, it is harmless and will subside in time. Some fish will even eat it, especially plecos.

What concerns me more though is whether your tank is ready for your channa, as in cycling wise. How are you cycling it in preperation for its addition?

oh, okay. for the meanwhile i tried to put guppies in it to see if it could get better, because my friends said that it was effective for them. i used a 25 watt internal filter to filter the aquarium. i think the tank is ready, because i started to build the tank 2 weeks ago, i've added in some frogbits as you can see, and some indian almond leaves to decrease the ph lvl a bit. i dont have much decoration though

alvinguo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2021

i also added some hydrilla for the tank since i dont want to use aerators

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Could be bacteria build up or a byproduct from your water supply. I can't tell from the pic is it visible? Have you tested your tank parameters? I have frog bit in some of my tanks and it seems the really big healthiest ones seem to have a slime coat on the roots.

Reactions: tlindsey

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
If it is a new tank it is probably just biofilm. Guppies, some plecos and shrimp will eat it. Don't sweat it. It is totally normal and should be gone in a few weeks.

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I had this in my tank when I first put driftwood in. Taking it out and wiping it off helps, but it goes away on its own over time.

Reactions: Bbuckley

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
i think the tank is ready, because i started to build the tank 2 weeks ago
Two weeks is no time to complete the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium. You are new here so we don't know how accomplished you are at fish keeping. Are you familiar with tank cycling prior to introducing fish? When are you picking your channa up from the breeder? Have you got an API liquid test kit to ascertain where you are in the cycle?

alvinguo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2021
Two weeks is no time to complete the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium. You are new here so we don't know how accomplished you are at fish keeping. Are you familiar with tank cycling prior to introducing fish? When are you picking your channa up from the breeder? Have you got an API liquid test kit to ascertain where you are in the cycle?
woah, i think it's pretty complicated from what you mentioned here, i had the water out in the sun for 2 weeks, then i set up the tank after that, after that 2 more weeks in the tank. so it should be 4 weeks in total, but if it's counted from when the tank is done being set, it's 2 weeks. i'm picking up my channa next week. i don't have a test kit, but my breeder came to me last week, he said that the tank should be ready next week, so yeah.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store