Collecting Native Fish

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
In a few weeks we will be heading to the Florida Panhandle to do some fish collecting.
I am building out a Camper Van and have my canoe ready to go.
To collect the fish I will be fishing, Micro-Fishing, using nets and traps.

My main concern is keeping the fish alive for the duration of our 9 day trip.
I plan water changes, but I am also going to use filtration.
I bought three large sponge filters.
I am "Seasoning" them in an established tank.
I have them in a tank with 100 small tilapia. They will be loaded with microbes.
You think this will work?
I will be bringing chemicals for adjusting water, etc.
I bought a USB air pump, plus my 120v pumps I can run on an inverter.
(I have looked into the local laws and will comply. This is added to help keep responses on the subject. One can only try.)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
In a few weeks we will be heading to the Florida Panhandle to do some fish collecting.
I am building out a Camper Van and have my canoe ready to go.
To collect the fish I will be fishing, Micro-Fishing, using nets and traps.

My main concern is keeping the fish alive for the duration of our 9 day trip.
I plan water changes, but I am also going to use filtration.
I bought three large sponge filters.
I am "Seasoning" them in an established tank.
I have them in a tank with 100 small tilapia. They will be loaded with microbes.
You thing this will work?
I will be bringing chemicals for adjusting water, etc.
I bought a USB air pump, plus my 120v pumps I can run on an inverter.
(I have looked into the local laws and will comply. This is added to help keep responses on the subject. One can only try.)
Rocksor Rocksor

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If you are putting the filters in an established tank, don't get your hopes up that it will be able to handle the bioload of the fish you will catch. Ammonia production needs to increase in your current tanks to properly seed the new sponge filters. I'm betting your tanks are pretty much stable right now.

The way to know for sure is to do a fishless cycle in a 5 g bucket with the sponges, supplying with up to 2ppm of pure ammonia (no sufuctants). You have 3 weeks to fishless cycle the sponge filters which is doable.

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
clip...You have 3 weeks to fishless cycle the sponge filters which is doable.
I was thinking that instead of fishless cycling, I could cycle them with fish.
They will have been in use for 2 months by the time I take the trip. They are already loaded and I may need to squeeze them out some.
Is fishless better?
I was thinking using my dirty tank overloaded with fish would be better.
All the Tilapia will be going into my pond in a week or so. They are about 1.5" long now.
I will have one more tank for the fish I collect.
Or are you saying to test my sponges.
I have to do frequent water changes, because the tank is extremely over populated...

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I was thinking that instead of fishless cycling, I could cycle them with fish.
They will have been in use for 2 months by the time I take the trip. They are already loaded and I may need to squeeze them out some.
Is fishless better?
I was thinking using my dirty tank overloaded with fish would be better.
All the Tilapia will be going into my pond in a week or so. They are about 1.5" long now.
I will have one more tank for the fish I collect.
Well, it's guaranteed to be cycled with a fishless cycle. Your dirty tank should have an ammonia reading right now if you want to attempt to seed the new sponge filters. I've transferred sponge filters from an established tank after a 1-2 years in it, and I haven't chosen a sponge filter that instantly cycles the new quaratine tank. It took anywhere from 1-2 weeks to fully seed the filter, even with 2 x 1" fish in a 15g tank. At the very least feed the sponges 2ppm pure ammonia until you get ready for your trip. Ammonia should disappear within 24 hours, and you don't have to dose with ammonia everyday, just every other day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store