Brown algae growing on glass fast

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I’ve done water changes scarped it off used algae control solutions but it just grows and grows I’m not that worried about it it’s just a bit annoying to look at any advice on how to fix this problem I’ve never had it happen before

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Simple diatoms algae. It does tend to run its course and stop showing up after a while. If the tank is by a window, there is no stopping it. I’d get an algae magnet scraper so you don’t have to make it a process every time.
Increasing water changes have also helped me...now most of what I have to deal with is black beard...

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
How new is the substrate? A few months?
Yea the substrates several months old back to the end of January this year but I’ve rinsed and cleaned it since then really good cause there was a bit disease outbreak in my tank it killed a couple cichlids and a mormyrid dolphin fish so after I got it cleaned up I just cleaned everything out of fear that something would still manage to go wrong

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Simple diatoms algae. It does tend to run its course and stop showing up after a while. If the tank is by a window, there is no stopping it. I’d get an algae magnet scraper so you don’t have to make it a process every time.
Increasing water changes have also helped me...now most of what I have to deal with is black beard...
Yea it’s in my room next to my bed it’s a 40 gallon grow out tank soon to be 150 gallon then a pool pond but there’s a window behind it and next to it but they both have blackout curtains that work really good

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Yea the substrates several months old back to the end of January this year but I’ve rinsed and cleaned it since then really good cause there was a bit disease outbreak in my tank it killed a couple cichlids and a mormyrid dolphin fish so after I got it cleaned up I just cleaned everything out of fear that something would still manage to go wrong
I would keep expecting diatoms to continue for some months if the substrate is sand. It could take a bit of time to stop making brown algae, especially if it gets indirect sunlight.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I would keep expecting diatoms to continue for some months if the substrate is sand. It could take a bit of time to stop making brown algae, especially if it gets indirect sunlight.
The substrate is small riverbed rocks kinda that’s how I’d explain it but here’s a picture and I know the tank looks absolutely terrible this is from a couple months ago 2598C663-26B4-44D6-B63B-9FE7A3559880.jpeg

Reactions: Bbuckley

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Cut the lighting period to 2 hours or less just for your viewing pleasure at night. No need for the light above the tank to be on during the day, unless the room is really dark.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Cut the lighting period to 2 hours or less just for your viewing pleasure at night. No need for the light above the tank to be on during the day, unless the room is really dark.
That makes sense plus I do mostly stay up all night staring at my fish lol

Reactions: Bbuckley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store