Immediate help needed

Maximus146

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
One of my piranha just out of nowhere started spazzing out, would float around, lay upside down but is still breathing. What do I do??!!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
One of my piranha just out of nowhere started spazzing out, would float around, lay upside down but is still breathing. What do I do??!!
Could be an injury. Was the fish attacked by the other piranhas? Separate into a qt tank. Lower the water level so it can stay on its belly and stay upright. Have to leave like this for a while and hope it corrects itself.

Reactions: dr exum

Maximus146

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
Could be an injury. Was the fish attacked by the other piranhas? Separate into a qt tank. Lower the water level so it can stay on its belly and stay upright. Have to leave like this for a while and hope it corrects itself.
No there was no attacking going on. We turned the lights off in the tank so he’s not stressed out. I can’t get a qt tank right now but he’s on his side

Maximus146

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
So unfortunate news:
Despite the fact he seemed to be recovering, while I was away from the tank (for less than 10 mins) thinking of a way to make a makeshift qt tank with things I have around the house, the other 6 got to him. I think when they saw him swimming erratically, they were watching him at one point just laying on his side and knew he was weak. When I looked in the tank, he had been attacked pretty badly, bite marks EVERYWHERE and his rear fin was barely holding on to the rest of his body. I couldn’t bare the thought of leaving him in there to suffer and get finished off so I took him out of the tank and did it myself. It’s just a fish but it was so damn heartbreaking. Ugh....and then there was six....

• Sad
Reactions: deeda

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sorry for the loss

Maximus146

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
Sorry for your loss. Tough thing to do.
Fish hierarchies work in weird ways, and our fish tanks, no matter how large, are not large enough to give a second chance to a low totem pole individual.
Thanks guys I appreciate it. Its a tough pill to swallow when you see how Mother Nature can be sometimes.
Would you have done the same by taking him out of the tank before they finished him off?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Sorry to hear.
Piranhas be piranhas.
I think you did the right thing. Suffocating is probably better than being eaten alive by piranhas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store