Can anyone tell me about Vieja heterospilus?

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
People only want what isn't available. Until it's available.

I've cut way back on raising fry - there really just isn't demand. I feel a little bad feeding pikes and catfish with CARES goodieds and F1s of fish I've collected in Uruguay... but c'est la vie!

So true. I’ve stopped advertising fry because most of the time I can’t give them away if the fish is uncommon/rare. Especially if it doesn’t have a catchy trade name. Lots of people want “red tiger” severums but won’t give them a second look if you call them Heros severus. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: C. Breeze

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
In nature an average size of only is 6" is normal, probably because of predation by birds and reptiles and other factors where they don't make it much larger or longer.
But in aquariums without that type of predation pressure they easily live longer, and get much larger, 10" or larger, individuals (especially males) were very common when they became the "Vieja type" to have in the Chicago/Milwaukee area a decade or so ago. They are making a come back.
They can be easy prey for birds like cormorants in the pools they are common in in mexico.
View attachment 1459388
What's their growth rate? Fast medium or slow?

Not sure I'll go with another fish that can get over 8" with a large choc, parrot and O that still seem to be growing.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Growth rate will probably be the same as your other fish, but that is usually determined by your water change schedule. More water changes, you get a normal/good growth rate, less water changes can slow or stunt growth.
There is no set standard rate because everyones tank and schedule is different.
I should point out that Oscars and Chocolates are soft water fish, the heterspilus are hard water species.
I can't comment on Parrot, unless you specify, if it is a true parrot (Hoplarchus) it is a soft water species....
if the man made mutation variant I doubt if water parameters matter.
What size tank?

Reactions: C. Breeze

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Growth rate will probably be the same as your other fish, but that is usually determined by your water change schedule. More water changes, you get a normal/good growth rate, less water changes can slow or stunt growth.
There is no set standard rate because everyones tank and schedule is different.
I should point out that Oscars and Chocolates are soft water fish, the heterspilus are hard water species.
I can't comment on Parrot, unless you specify, if it is a true parrot (Hoplarchus) it is a soft water species....
if the man made mutation variant I doubt if water parameters matter.
What size tank?
Current stock

14" Oscar
10" Chocolate
7+" BP
2 synos, 7" and 8" approx
5" rainbow
4" acaras (2)
3" HRP
5" golden severum

current w/c schedule 80% twice per week

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
What are your nitrates? How often do you have to do water changes. Imo as long as you manage the nutrition export you can heavily stock a tank. My tank is concerned heavily stocked but nitrates never go over 20 ppm because of my setup.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
What are your nitrates? How often do you have to do water changes. Imo as long as you manage the nutrition export you can heavily stock a tank. My tank is concerned heavily stocked but nitrates never go over 20 ppm because of my setup.
Nitrates are no problem, generally at ~5. But I'm bit hesitant to add another potential 8" or more fish. The severum is still a juvie. The parrot and Chocolate look to put on at least another inch. My Oscar is only around 2 1/2 y.o. HRP and rainbow are growing as well. I think the acaras have most of their size (maybe). Bio filtration can handle it, its the mechanical filtration that's doing heavy duty now with these bulky fish, especially the 'big 3". Was looking more to something staying smaller (no more than 6") that would have more reasonable bio load. In the last three months I've had to increase the cleaning schedule for the filters.

Maybe a pink male convict. Someone grabbed the red rainbow I had my eye on. Possibly finish up with a keyhole cichlid. Some of the other small cichlids are too tiny.

If I were to add another mid sized fish I'd likely be looking at three w/cs a week.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Nitrates are no problem, generally at ~5. But I'm bit hesitant to add another potential 8" or more fish. The severum is still a juvie. The parrot and Chocolate look to put on at least another inch. My Oscar is only around 2 1/2 y.o. HRP and rainbow are growing as well. I think the acaras have most of their size (maybe). Bio filtration can handle it, its the mechanical filtration that's doing heavy duty now with these bulky fish, especially the 'big 3". Was looking more to something staying smaller (no more than 6") that would have more reasonable bio load. In the last three months I've had to increase the cleaning schedule for the filters.

Maybe a pink male convict. Someone grabbed the red rainbow I had my eye on. Possibly finish up with a keyhole cichlid. Some of the other small cichlids are too tiny.

If I were to add another mid sized fish I'd likely be looking at three w/cs a week.
Unfortunately no one can tell you what you can and can't add if your tank can support the bio load the worst think If your keep an eye on them is you have to get rid of a fish. But I have a big assortment of fish and some of them if you read online They are aggressive and can't be housed with fish I have in the tank with them and the fish I have is one of the calmest fish I have on the other have I an Oscar for about 10 years now that kills everything that you put in the tank with him, Including the fish that were bought with him as a juvenile and were introduced at the same time. He killed 2 plecos. A pleco what? He killed Jack Dempsey, parrots, venustus, and other oscars just to name a few. What I am trying to say is every fish is different If you watch him closely and It's not way bigger than the other fish You can pull the fish out if it gets agitated. Also I've had timeout to work for fish I've had it not work for fish There a couple things to do if you have in aggressive fish they don't always work but they do sometimes. If you want the fish and ill make you enjoy your tank more I say get it

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019

5 I wish My well water comes out at that lol 5 is dam good do you have a drip system or you just do water changes?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store