what is the name of this snails and can amazon puffers eat this?

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
I found a lot of these snails for sale cheap price.

I need to know what is its name and whether my amazon puffers will be able to crack it open and eat it.

IMG_4731.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Looks like it might be a Malaysian trumpet snail, but I could be wrong. If it is MTS the amazons could definitely break it, but they are not recommended for puffers because they have very hard shells and risk breaking puffer teeth.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
At the size the puffers are now, I’d pass on trumpet snails. Might be better when the puffers hit 3 inches or so.

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
Thank you very much Deadeye Deadeye and twentyleagues twentyleagues !

As a treat for my puffers becuase they recovered from ich, I bought for them 100 Anentome helena and 100 Ramshorn Snails.

I put some of the Ramshorn Snails in the tank and they escaped and hide themselves on the bushes. then I moved them back to a separate tank for them to breed. Then I put the 100 of Anentome helena into the tank and puffers started attacking them and eating them, without breaking the shells, so I think that they just ate half of them by biting their head off. now, the tank looks like a graveyard of 100 Anentome helena .

Do I need to remove those shells or I just leave them there? will the half eaten snails rotten there?

why could not puffers catch the Ramshorn Snails?

will puffers overeat and be killed by overeating? their bellies are puffed up?

here is a picture of Ramshorn Snails escaping and hiding into the bushes.

IMG_4735.jpg

here is photo post attack by puffers,

IMG_4745.jpg

Photo of puffers after eating many snails
IMG_4742.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
The shells are probably fine, the bodies have been eaten, the puffers sucked them out. They may be too small to crush at this point. You can always hide food in the shells to give the puffers incentive to go shell crushing.
The rams may have been too big and they couldn’t figure them out.
It’s probably for the best the assassin snails were killed and aren’t with the rams. They get their name for killing other snails, which would destroy your ram population.
My puffers look like they ate a marble after eating, and are similarly sized to yours. They are fine. Puffers naturally expand after feeding. Without scales and having expandable bodies, it shows very well on them. It will go down soon.

Reactions: professorjimjam

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
Thank you so much Deadeye.

So, will eventually puffer be able to eat Ramshorn Snails ? or am I just wasting time breeding for them Ramshorn Snails in another tank?

Should I starve them and then put some of the Ramshorn Snails to see if they would attack?

Reactions: Deadeye

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
one more question, I bought a 11 liters tank to breed the 100 Ramshorn Snails and 50 shrimps. here is a photo, the pet store guy told me that I do not need a auto thermostat, only a filter is sufficient (he said room temperature is fine for the tank of shrimps and snails). the filter is a bit powerful, I can see it has a strong current in the water.

also i see some snails are floating and do not go down to the bottom, is this normal?

is this tank sufficient without a thermostat even in winter (but the tank will be in the bedroom)?

here is the tank picture.
IMG_4746.jpg

Reactions: Caveden and Deadeye

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I would recommend removal of shells as there is some flesh left behind and it will rot causing an ammonia spike. I feed trumpets to my pea puffs but the go for the snail head not the shell. I also feed ramshorn and pond snails. I recently purchased 4 mystery snails with the hopes that they to will breed giving me another murder bean food source.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Thank you so much Deadeye.

So, will eventually puffer be able to eat Ramshorn Snails ? or am I just wasting time breeding for them Ramshorn Snails in another tank?

Should I starve them and then put some of the Ramshorn Snails to see if they would attack?
Rams seem to be a preferred food for puffers. Probably just too big looking at the photo. The puffers will grow into them. When the rams breed, you can feed the juvies to the puffers for now.
My snail breeding tank has no heater and they are fine. I do recommend a lid and plants for more cover, less chance of escape, and more surface area for snails and algae. I’ve seen snails float in my tanks. Not sure what it is. Just make sure they are acclimated, it seems like there is more of a die off due to lack of acclimation with any of my snails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store