what is the name of this snails and can amazon puffers eat this?

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
one more question, I bought a 11 liters tank to breed the 100 Ramshorn Snails and 50 shrimps. here is a photo, the pet store guy told me that I do not need a auto thermostat, only a filter is sufficient (he said room temperature is fine for the tank of shrimps and snails). the filter is a bit powerful, I can see it has a strong current in the water.

also i see some snails are floating and do not go down to the bottom, is this normal?

is this tank sufficient without a thermostat even in winter (but the tank will be in the bedroom)?

here is the tank picture.
View attachment 1463399
Freshwater snails have a swim bladder and can "swim" so the floating on the surface is completely normal. No heater needed for snails. You could just use an airstone but they don't mind flow. That is a lot of snails for that size tanks so keep up on the water changes.

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
Freshwater snails have a swim bladder and can "swim" so the floating on the surface is completely normal. No heater needed for snails. You could just use an airstone but they don't mind flow. That is a lot of snails for that size tanks so keep up on the water changes.
Thanks a lot. How often should change the water and how much % of the water to be changed for these 100 snails and 50 shirmps?

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
I would recommend removal of shells as there is some flesh left behind and it will rot causing an ammonia spike. I feed trumpets to my pea puffs but the go for the snail head not the shell. I also feed ramshorn and pond snails. I recently purchased 4 mystery snails with the hopes that they to will breed giving me another murder bean food source.
How do I know which one of them are dead and which ones are still alive?

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
Rams seem to be a preferred food for puffers. Probably just too big looking at the photo. The puffers will grow into them. When the rams breed, you can feed the juvies to the puffers for now.
My snail breeding tank has no heater and they are fine. I do recommend a lid and plants for more cover, less chance of escape, and more surface area for snails and algae. I’ve seen snails float in my tanks. Not sure what it is. Just make sure they are acclimated, it seems like there is more of a die off due to lack of acclimation with any of my snails.
it has a glass lid, will it still be able to escape? I thought these snails cannot survive if they come out of water. no? Also, how can I identify the dead Ramshorn Snail?

Reactions: fishguy1978

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Ah I didn’t see the lid, really clear glass! Should be good then. Snails are stupid and like to explore, they usually return after realizing they are out of water though.
Monitor for which snails haven’t moved since you put them in (or are getting swarmed by the shrimp), those are likely the dead ones.

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
I just noticed that some of my shrimps were motionless completely. I tried to pick them up few of them and they are completely like dead. some of them move a bit but very slowly. I panicked. I thought the water that I used from the big tank may have had the trace of medicine. So I have changed the water 95% with new fresh water. I do not know but maybe shrimp sleep? does shrimp sleep? if yes, then are they motionless like dead?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store