5 Years into fishkeeping, and adulthood.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I realised today that I have been keeping tropical fish for about 5 years now in some capacity, since a few months after I first joined this forum. I started with a 75g and 5g, the bigger one is still running along with two 15g tanks. Have plenty of small aquaria in storage still. It is crazy how much I had to learn and still have to learn for fishkeeping. So many disciplines to work with! I have barely dabbled in breeding for example, or am stumped with anything marine.

Another large growth point is realising how much adult life can interfere with the hobby. I joined as a springy 14 year old with all the time in the world to muck about on forums (See my post count, with 4000+ on other forums). At one stage I was running 6 tanks in my bedroom and keeping all sorts of little critters. But since I went to University I have not been home much and had to downscale (Still have a bichir!) to what my family can take care of while I am away, and instead getting crested geckos to keep me company. It's that thing of having time but no money as a teen, then money but less time as a young adult. This is also noticeable in my lower forum participation. I am impressed with the dedication of members that work full time!

Being at university has impacted my fishkeeping aspirations; botany, photography, and academics fill my time now. I am living vicariously through the forum, writing in magazines (keep an eye out for Muppet, my senegal bichir, in Amazonas!) and learning some tissue culture for aquatic plants, something I hope to write about in a few months. Guess this is an update from a former poster ;)

I am excited to see what I can do with a bit more financial freedom in a few years (probably more bichirs, duh). I am curious to hear how moving into adulthood influenced the keeping styles or freedom of other members :D

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Life is like a road trip; if you spend some time planning the route, you can avoid most of the major traffic tie-ups, see some of the nicer sights, and generally have a great time. You can occasionally try some unknown sideroad, knowing that you can always get back on track if it doesn't work out. The problem for many people is that they don't look ahead any further than the end of the block. The sooner they realize that a bit more thought and foresight is required, the better; some never figure it out.

Yes, the stinging cold slap of reality across the face, when you first realize how much earning a living can interfere with actually living...well, it's a rude wake-up call. But again, the sooner you see it coming, the better you can roll with that punch and come back swinging.

I recall as a child getting my first fish tank at around 10 years of age. I spent the next few decades constantly expanding the hobby, more and bigger tanks, more and bigger fish. I had a few setbacks, caused by jobs, moves, etc. that drastically cut back my involvement, but I always moved towards more, more, more. I was well into my 40's when it suddenly struck me...another reality slap...it was becoming more of a chore and less of a pleasure. I realized that I simply didn't need (or even want) at least one of every kind of tank; I didn't need to keep every species of fish on the planet. And I had other interests that deserved some of my time and attention and effort.

I cut back drastically, this time out of desire rather than forced necessity. And for the past 2 decades I have considered each and every new tank or fish species verrrry carefully. The "collector" mentality can take hold easily, and having escaped its clutches once, I didn't want to fall into that trap again.

Now I keep a few tanks, a relatively small number of species I consider interesting (and these are not necessarily rare or hard-to-get or "monsters"), I put a lot of thought and planning into ways that make maintenance, cleaning and water changes easy and quick...and I probably enjoy fishkeeping more today than ever.

Enjoy the future...it can be great if you want and plan for it to be! :)

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I thought life was like a box of chocolates?
That’s what you got from all of that ?? jjohnwm jjohnwm good speech. As being a teenager I know how it feels to be a bit new to the hobby and want more and more but then realize that money is a thing. Why can’t the world go back trading animal fur and whale blubber as currency. I’d have a lot more tanks if that was still a thing ?

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
There was a time after joining mfk that I was absent. Had school and residency. After that I was back in the hobby and on the forum. Then the family came! Back and forth with the hobby. Still enjoy it but have to manage and plan everything ahead of time. So I can cont the hobby and mfk. The journey of life retires some parts and rejuvenates other parts of your life.Time flies when ur having fun. As the old cliche says live in the moment Hendre Hendre .

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
There was a time after joining mfk that I was absent. Had school and residency. After that I was back in the hobby and on the forum. Then the family came! Back and forth with the hobby. Still enjoy it but have to manage and plan everything ahead of time. So I can cont the hobby and mfk. The journey of life retires some parts and rejuvenates other parts of your life.Time flies when ur having fun. As the old cliche says live in the moment Hendre Hendre .
Never noticed you joined Christmas Eve lol. Those are extremely true, time flies when you’re having fun. As someone who enjoys being in nature and loves the fun of catching fish. When you’re really having fun 7 hours can pass by in 7 seconds.

Reactions: Hendre

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
I set up my first real tank in Jan. 2001. I was staring at my 53rd birthday in a few months. So I had a short time into which to cram a lot of fish keeping. I had been promising myself I would get a tank for at least 10 years by then. I already knew about how life throws curve balls.

Here is the thing. Over time we learn what is important to each of us and we make our decisions accordingly. I had more answers when I was 18 than I do today. But I am also smarter now than I was then.

The universe has way of reminding us on a regular basis that we are never really in charge of anything.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I set up my first real tank in Jan. 2001. I was staring at my 53rd birthday in a few months. So I had a short time into which to cram a lot of fish keeping. I had been promising myself I would get a tank for at least 10 years by then. I already knew about how life throws curve balls.

Here is the thing. Over time we learn what is important to each of us and we make our decisions accordingly. I had more answers when I was 18 than I do today. But I am also smarter now than I was then.

The universe has way of reminding us on a regular basis that we are never really in charge of anything.
Happy early birthday. Do you have any fish from when you first started keeping them or have they all passed by now

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Adulting sucks in some parts but it’s nice in other parts. I can buy whatever I like, nice. I have to work to get money, not nice. We’re both finding our that it’s overrated slightly.

Reactions: jjohnwm and Rtc/tsn

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I thought life was like a box of chocolates?
It can be....if you're referring to a boxed up delivery of chocolate cichlids!!

Hmmmm, chocolate cichlids, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Rtc/tsn
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store