L095 - Red Cheek Pinecone pleco

sebarau

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Malaysia
Anybody keeping one? Wanted to know their diet? I saw an old thread saying this pleco eat almost anything. Mine still not showing much interest on sinking pellet.. saw it munching on cucumber.. but not much damage to the cucumber.. recent imports but has been quarantine by the LFS for 2 weeks.. belly seems to be ok..

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Mine usually eats at night but will come out during the daytime for repashy or pellets.
the repashy blend I use is soilent green, bottom scratcher, and morning wood. You can probably do without the morning wood, but I leave that in there since I have royals in the tank too.
I’ve found broccoli to be attractive to stubborn plecos, they love it and will start eating other veggies soon after.
it will take a couple offerings before they recognize it as a food source so be patient and watch the belly. They are much more active at night than you realize so you can also feed when the lights are off to make sure it’s getting it’s share.

sebarau

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Malaysia
Mine usually eats at night but will come out during the daytime for repashy or pellets.
the repashy blend I use is soilent green, bottom scratcher, and morning wood. You can probably do without the morning wood, but I leave that in there since I have royals in the tank too.
I’ve found broccoli to be attractive to stubborn plecos, they love it and will start eating other veggies soon after.
it will take a couple offerings before they recognize it as a food source so be patient and watch the belly. They are much more active at night than you realize so you can also feed when the lights are off to make sure it’s getting it’s share.
Thanks mate. Saw that it nibbles the cucumber yesterday. Will try with other vege in the next few days.

Reactions: Rob909

sebarau

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Malaysia
Ive also had some success with whole shrimpView attachment 1463924
Have not tried that yet.. the LFS asked me to feed him pellet for the next few days.. as that what they feed him while under quarantine. Will try sweet potato in the next few days.. once i move the fella into the monster comm tank, he only can have pellets, vege and left over fish meat or shrimp. As the arowanas, Indo Tigers and cichlids will gobbled the cut fish and shrimp first. I found out that they can change their color quite a bit. Now he is light grey..

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Have not tried that yet.. the LFS asked me to feed him pellet for the next few days.. as that what they feed him while under quarantine. Will try sweet potato in the next few days.. once i move the fella into the monster comm tank, he only can have pellets, vege and left over fish meat or shrimp. As the arowanas, Indo Tigers and cichlids will gobbled the cut fish and shrimp first. I found out that they can change their color quite a bit. Now he is light grey..
Makes sense if they had it on pellets already that they’d recommend pellets. Did they mention which pellets they were feeding? Your best bet will be to try the same ones. How long have you had yours? Both of mine took a little while to get active once I brought them home. Once they settle in, they get a much better feeding response in my experience.
As far as color goes, light gray is a good color to have as long as it’s not too light. Here’s one that is pretty light
FDBD0A6F-3F91-42AE-BFE3-D031C3D01708.jpeg

Reactions: Niki_up

sebarau

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Malaysia
Makes sense if they had it on pellets already that they’d recommend pellets. Did they mention which pellets they were feeding? Your best bet will be to try the same ones. How long have you had yours? Both of mine took a little while to get active once I brought them home. Once they settle in, they get a much better feeding response in my experience.
As far as color goes, light gray is a good color to have as long as it’s not too light. Here’s one that is pretty light
View attachment 1464227
I had mine more than a week now, he still in the quarantine tank.. trying to get him bulk up and getting used of me looking at him.. hahaha.. will be getting one more L095 next week.. slightly smaller .. arrived at the same time but that one too skinny and stress. The LFS is stabilizing the fella. If all ok.. will bring him home. Will ask the LFS to give me a bit of the pellet.. so far have not seem him munching them. The rest of the pseuda take the pellets readily.

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
I've had several over the years and currently have one I've been keeping for about three years. Never had an issue with them passing up anything but the current one seems to be a fan of NLS Thera A+, massivore, algae wafers, krill, jumbo mysis and some veggies but tends to go for those last.

Reactions: sebarau

sebarau

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Malaysia
I've had several over the years and currently have one I've been keeping for about three years. Never had an issue with them passing up anything but the current one seems to be a fan of NLS Thera A+, massivore, algae wafers, krill, jumbo mysis and some veggies but tends to go for those last.
Thanks for tips bro.. mind sharing your pinecone picture?

Cadillac15

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2018
My L095 eats a lot of driftwood, tends to avoid veggies, will eat the occasional algae wafer, but LOVES northfin jumbo pellets

Reactions: sebarau
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store