How has the coronavirus affected your personal life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I am not opposed to vaccines. I am opposed to broad government mandates.

I think it’s pretty clear that almost everyone in the world has already been exposed to Covid one way or another.

Now there will be mandates.
And collective decisions based on politics.

Gee, what’s not to love?

Reactions: jjohnwm

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I'm from New Zealand, as soon as it got out a cruise ship let the virus in. Straight away our Govt went into hard lockdown for months. We got rid of the virus with minimal damage to the economy. A few hiccups on the way but for a long time we have been virus free with the economy going well. The lockdown was hard but us Kiwi's have come out of it with a sense of pride we fought the good fight, together, as a nation. We only have a Federal gvt here to pint the finger at if they get it wrong, no state govt's running their own routines.
What you do not have is state government and the federal government consisting largely of lawyers and engaged in legal fighting with each other all the time.

This has become an enormous problem that’s all driven by lawyers.

Reactions: jacktar and jjohnwm

soon hock

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2011
in the water
I'm from New Zealand, as soon as it got out a cruise ship let the virus in. Straight away our Govt went into hard lockdown for months. We got rid of the virus with minimal damage to the economy. A few hiccups on the way but for a long time we have been virus free with the economy going well. The lockdown was hard but us Kiwi's have come out of it with a sense of pride we fought the good fight, together, as a nation. We only have a Federal gvt here to pint the finger at if they get it wrong, no state govt's running their own routines.
A hard lockdown was very smart, unfortunately the people in America would have never went along with it. They would have been rioting in the streets claiming their rights were being violated if a lockdown had been ordered. American is full of ignorant and arrogant people of all races and economic backgrounds. People in America have literally physically assaulted retail workers when they were asked to wear a mask to enter a store, can you imagine telling these people they have to stay in the house for months. We have become to spoiled in the country. Congrats to New Zealand for executing a great plan.

Reactions: jacktar

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Even if I wasn't trained as a microbiologist, and hadn't worked in that field for 20 years, I would have thought it simply common sense to wear a mask when dealing with an airborne pathogen.
Here in Panama it became law to wear a mask, and still is, outside of the home.
And on the island where I live, we have been Covid free for many months, at least since a kid had to go to the mainland to party, and brought it back to his family.
Cherry picking science to fit ones ideology seems a fools errand to me.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
An example
During the building of the Panama Canal by the U.S., malaria killed many workers.
The common belief (ideology) of the day in the U.S. was that malaria came from a less than godly life style, generally associated with a non-white workforce.
This ideology continued for 10 years, even after Cuban scientist proved malaria to be a mosquito bourne disease, and wiped out the disease on Cuba by limiting places for the Anopheles to easily breed, and during that interim ideologically driven 10 years thousands or workers on the canal died, until the facts became so obvious, that the mosquito vectors, couldn't be ignored by even the hardest nosed ideolog.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
These people who have a positive test result should be considered infectious and remain isolated until they again meet criteria for discontinuation of isolation or of transmission-based precautions. This is from the CDC people who test positive should be considered infectious, that's why the lady in the article is in self quarentine. So do you believe that people who are vaccinated and still test positive cannot spread covid because they have had a vaccine I'm lost.
Hello; my understanding is a swab is inserted into the nasal cavity for the Covid test. If a person has been around someone shedding virus the virus particles can be trapped in the nasal passages. This is one of the bodies defenses in that out nasal passages do trap stuff whether it be dust or virus. So a person can test positive for virus without being infected in the sense of having body cells taken over by the virus and those cells replicating virus.

The immune system is not like a bio-hazard suit which keeps out all pathogens. If you are immune you can breathe in some virus from a sick person but the immune system will be ready to deal with a virus it has a history with. Odds are the time frame is still short for all of us who have been vaccinated or recovered from a natural infection so that some active specific antibodies and T-cells may still be present. After a time, so far unknown, the levels of these active antibodies and T-cells may fall in number, but the body has a "memory" and will ramp up production of new immune bodies. However what I have been reading is the vaccine immune reaction is lasting and some indications are that the immune reaction may last years. At least the immune reaction has stayed robust so far when checked.

Nothing wrong with a vaccinated or natural survivor person who tests positive doing some precautionary steps. However to make the assertion a vaccinated person will be shedding virus because of a positive test does not necessarily follow. Virus in the air may be trapped in the nasal passage and show up during a test just as a specific test for a particular type of dust would be positive. Virus trapped in the nasal passage is not the same as an active infection was my point. I am vaccinated and may have in the last few months breathed in virus many times. At some times I would have tested positive for the presence of the virus, but I have not been ill. I also understand the test is sensitive. I seem to recall it will go positive for virus fragments.

Where I will be found wrong is if the test to detect virus becomes such that the test can actually discriminate between the mere presence of virus or even fragmented virus particles and an active infection. IS this the state of the test currently?

Reactions: jacktar

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I am not opposed to vaccines. I am opposed to broad government mandates.

I think it’s pretty clear that almost everyone in the world has already been exposed to Covid one way or another.

Now there will be mandates.
And collective decisions based on politics.

Gee, what’s not to love?
Here ya go Ulu you can place this on your front door for when the man comes around.
216771128_500040671110901_5070359593748244400_n.jpg

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I have not tested positive, but know of those locally working in health care that have, even after vaccination x 2. They work on a unit where covid positive patients are treated. These fully vaccinated people were coughing/sneezing, sore throat, fever. They had symptoms, which is why they were tested. Nothing serious, or life threatening, but I cannot imagine that they would NOT be shedding virus particles when coughing, sneezing, etc. That seems like a no brainer to me .....

jacktar

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2021
New Zealand has really shown the way - definitely something of which to be proud!

One of the fundamental mistakes early on in the US response was deferring as much as we did to states. We had no national strategy for testing, PPE and so many other aspects. States were competing with each other and it drove prices up and made access to protective equipment a challenge for many. This was a decision and one that surely resulted in many deaths.
Yeah mate, I've been watching your politics closely for ages now, I really feel for you guy's who get this. It goes without saying a pandemic should be handled at a federal level as far as PPE and most other aspects. The only aspect I would have deferred to the states is contact tracing, which along with masks, has been fundamental to our success. Here and in aussie every shop, including supermarkets have a qr code, mandated. We all have an app which we scan the qr code with, if there's an outbreak and the shop you go to has been exposed you are informed and you are tested. Best wish's to you and yours dog!

Reactions: dogofwar and RD.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store